1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times Celebrates Brooklyn Neighborhood Watch Group

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Somehow, someway, the righties find ways to give vent to their burning blistering butthurt over the fact that certain dark persons get hold of guns and yet the meeeeedia says nothing. Booofuckinghoo.

I hear Preparation H is helpful.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I understand you probably don't live in NY, but Brooklyn isn't the monolithic entity I suspect some people on here think. That story is about East New York. East New York has as much relation to Park Slope, for example, as a penguin does to a mule. The crime rate has dropped dramatically in East New York over the last several decades (starting back around Giuliani), but there aren't too many people -- NY Times readers or otherwise -- who think of East New York as an up-and-coming neighborhood.

My dad was a school principal in that neighborhood for a few decades, including the 1970s, when it was at its worst. It was rough. More than a hundred murders a year rough. Leading the city in crime statistics rough (it still does -- stray bullets whizzing around that area are still a common occurrence, even with the reduction in crime that has been a citywide phenomenon).

It's gotten safer, but what place hasn't? It doesn't mean it's part of the Brooklyn you are thinking, though, or that anyone thinks of East New York in terms of real estate values. It may as well be another planet if you live in Cobble Hill. In fact, I'd guess a lot of the Brooklyn you are thinking about couldn't place East New York on a map. If they can, they think of the neighborhood in terms of crime statistics -- crime statistics that few places in this country would be able to relate to (it's not Chicago bad anymore, but what place is?).

As for the original post, East New York isn't a paradigm for anything anyone on here knows. "Man Up!" is not a new program. And it doesn't relate to a "neighborhood watch" program most of you would understand, unless you live in a neighborhood filled with housing projects, dire poverty, drugs, violence and kids who can't walk to and from school safely.

"Man Up!" may or may not have done good things for East New York. There are a dozen other programs like it that can make the same kind of claims. Before that story, though, the only things I had ever read about it were things questioning its finances and the relationship between hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars filtered to it through a relationship between its executive director and two of the sleaziest politicians in NYC; the infamous Charles Barron -- the city council member with a penchant for saying anti-semitic things)and his wife Inez, a NY state assemblywoman. The guy who started Man Up used to be an aide to them, and now the group swims in money supposedly, and there have been allegations of financial impropriety and kickbacks -- at taxpayer expense. I have no idea if any of it is true. But it's made news. I also have no idea if Man Up! is solely, or partially, responsible for any decrease in murder. But it was an interesting read. If they get one kid out of a gang, great. I just hope it isn't getting piddling results at huge taxpayer expenses, while a few corrupt people enrich themselves and use any marginal successes (that may not even have to do with what they are doing) to justify their existence. There have been way too many of those types of programs that have come through East New York in the last 50 years, and the only constant has been that it has remained one of the worst neighborhoods in New York.

3. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Inky, maybe I'm too new here to understand, but please explain to me how anything Boom posts about black men killing other black men is "trolling."

For some reason, it seems a message board populated by supposedly professional people is not capable of having an open and honest discussion about this problem without getting threads locked.

I wonder why that is?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes, and somehow none of this came up in Jim Dwyer's article.

At the same time America is criticizing "wanna be cops" who participate in neighborhood watch programs, Dwyer finds one program that he finds acceptable.

He gives them all kinds of credit, but gives no evidence that they deserve the credit.

Is this program a role model that other neighborhoods and communities should look to replicate?

Is a group, made up of folks who were convicted of manslaughter and who previously dealt drugs the, which refuses to share information with the police the new model for a modern neighborhood watch?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I love the brief bio Dwyer gives us of the group's founder:

Oh, well, the former drug dealer says he wasn't involved in the manslaughter he was convicted of. That's cool. Let's just take his word for it.

And, the press has fawned over Mitchell previously. The local CBS affiliate sought his take on comments by the NYPD police commissioner last year:

No indication in this piece that Mitchell is anything other than the head of a community organization. No mention of his earlier career as drug dealer, or his manslaughter conviction.

Now, can you imagine -- even 20 or 30 years from now -- news organizations treating someone like George Zimmerman as an upstanding community leader, while minimizing, or skipping over, his past?

6. Check with your airline before leaving the house.

Draft saved Draft deleted