1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times Calls BS on NFL Concussion Research

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Mar 24, 2016.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ha. I assumed there was some story behind your comment. I do believe rubrics are important tools at some levels, but it does seem a bit silly for a PhD dissertation.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sure, I actually use them. They make grading much easier, certainly more consistent.

3. outofplace

4. outofplace

Finally watched Concussion on DVD today. I hadn't realized that the connection between the NFL and big tobacco was made in the movie as well.

I do wonder how much of it was fictionalized. Some of the conspiracy theory stuff doesn't fit the facts. That said, it does help to explain the problem and given the setting, it hits home for me. I know what football means in Pittsburgh and what Mike Webster meant to that city. Terry Long's career with the Steelers began as I entered the most football-crazed part of my life. I even interviewed Justin Strzelcyzk a couple of times during his career.

I guess my issue is the movie has the same problems from the article that started this thread. The NFL has a very serious concussion problem, but trying to add shaky conspiracy theories on top of the very real attempts to cover up the problem just distracts from the issue.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted