1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Post: NBA ref to be arrested for fixing games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 20, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Even by changing up a strike zone, the ump doesn't have nearly the control over a game that an NBA ref does. First of all, when an ump widens the zone, hitters simply adjust and swing more. They might not hit as well, but that doesn't necessarily preclude them from scoring. And, as others have said, Questec would hurt an ump's ability to do much.

An NBA ref directly affects scoring based on how he calls fouls. Every time he (or she) calls a foul, it leads to a good chance for the offensive team to score. He can make it difficult for a team to score by letting the opponent foul without calling it.

I don't think there's another sport where the ref is in as direct a position to affect scoring as they are in basketball.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Steve Javie.
    Well he is known for holding grudges on players.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The NBA issued a brief statement Friday: “We have been asked by the FBI, with whom we are working closely, not to comment on this matter at this time.”

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Anyone wanna bet which one it'll be? :D

I hope it's not Bob Delaney.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe, but that's because there is a lot of scoring (relative to other sports).

In football, however, it can take one or two holding penalties (since there's holding on every play, right?) that nullify touchdowns to make a tremendous difference.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Very much the same way there is holding on nearly every NFL play. Do the refs call it when it conveniences them? Hmm.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

After this, the feds and league need to investigate charges that Isiah Thomas is impersonating a GM and coach.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Exactly. And they often do.

I can't count the number of times I've watched a pitcher throw a strike three that was called a ball and then the batter followed with an RBI hit. Or vice versa: A pitch eight inches off the plate called strike three to end an inning.

And let's not forget obvious blown calls (read: Jeffrey Maier).

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/nba/referees/referees.html

Here's the NBA ref stats. I have no idea what I'm looking for though.

Perhaps someone can point out whose stats don't line up.

10. Inky_Wretch

Re: ESPN's coverage of this story

In the just ended news update on ESPN Radio, Dan Davis did not mention this story. He did mention an NBA trade, but not a gambling probe into a ref. I suspect ESPN is waiting for one of their NBA Insiders to "confirm" the story before mentioning it.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Riiiiight.

12. Inky_Wretch

I was trying to give TWWL the benefit of the doubt.

Draft saved Draft deleted