1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY police officers acquitted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 25, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't necessarily disagree with your point about thinking outside the box. I just wonder how cops can protect themselves in dangerous cities without firearms.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well the cops were "protecting " themselves here and look what happened.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Again, I don't disagree with your point.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Does that mean a black man who decides to be a cop is automatically a traitor to his people?

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Are the criminals in England packing automatic weapons? Is there a Russian Mob? Remnants, still full of mischief, of the Italian Mob? Jamaican gangs? Are the 14-year olds in London packing heat?
    That is about as silly-assed a statement as I have read. The cops in New York in 1890 would have laughed their heads off about that prospect.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm not defending what happened, don't even attempt to paint me into that fucking corner.

but the bottom line is cops are people, and people have emotions that get the best of them some times. some cops also are racist fucks, and that gets the best of them some times.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

I apparently spoke too soon.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080426/D909P8SG0.html

Al is no different than a terrorist.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if he organizes this, i hope they arrest him and he spends some time.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

The rally at Sharpton's office was followed by a 20-block march down Malcolm X Boulevard and then across 125th Street, Harlem's main business thoroughfare, where some bystanders yelled out "Kill the police!"

This wouldn't be the first time that something Al said directly resulted in someone's death. And yet, he's still a free man.

10. Judge Cooperman's statement:

http://www.wcbs880.com/Judge-Cooperman-on-Sean-Bell-Verdict/2074198

11. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

That is interesting reading. Easy to see why the police were acquitted of these specific charges.

I suspect they won't fare as well in civil court, if for no other reason than the burden of proof might be lesser and the feeling will be that someone will have to pay in some fashion.

12. http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080426/D909PB1O0.html

This link has information indicating the City will pay in a civil settlement. What will be interesting will be the split of the proceeds.

Draft saved Draft deleted