1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY police officers acquitted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 25, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Cops are taught to unload on a suspect just in case the suspect gets up and is able to fire off a couple. The term better be judged by 12 than carried by six (in this case one) comes to mind.
    That said, sounds like this was a colossal screw-up in terms of how the police handled this. There is a big difference between being found not guilty or being cleared in a police shooting and things being handled in a textbook way.
    For cops, the only color they care about is blue and then its everyone else.

And how classy that the union rep issued this soundbite: "How do I spell relief? N-O-T-G-U-I-L-T-Y"
    New York's Finest My Ass.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The guy did not have a gun.

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I'm fairly outraged about this.

I have no problem with Isnora and Cooper going free. But Oliver was grossly, criminally negligent. Maybe it's not murder and that's why he walked, too. But the fact is that an unarmed, innocent man who decided to leave while the shit was starting to hit the fan because, as he said, "I don't need this, I'm getting married (in a few hours)," should not get shot up by undercover cops.

And no, cops aren't going all kinds of trigger happy on unarmed white dudes at Scores.

Cowardly Lt. Gary Napoli was perhaps the real villain in all of this. He let the thing get out of hand and hid in his car while the shots rang out.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't buy the argument that if they took the time to find out of the guy really was armed that they could have been killed.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Clearly, you've never been shot at. As a son, grandson and a lot of other relations (and non-relations) to many cops, I can tell you it's not that simple.

That said, too many cops are like umpires -- they let their emotions get out of hand and situations can escalate quickly, when there is often no need for them to do so.

6. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

That's a part of the reason this is bullshit. That shouldn't be an option with cops in this sort of case. Let's see here: We can go with a jury, which will probably find us guilty, or we can go with a judge and know we'll get off the hook. Tough choice. That's like deciding between a Frosty and a cup full of dookie.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

someone already mentioned this, but i hate that only one of the cops involved seemed somewhat remorseful about what happened. i do not see how any judge could acquit all three.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nicely said, buck. true dat.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Trouble is, cops are supposed to be professional and not let their emotions get in the way. They have a job to do (and they do have to deal with a lot of crap), but difference between them and us is they get to carry a gun. And race does play a role. This happens In Queens, in the Bronx, not in the Upper West Side.

10. An unarmed man is driving away?
    Sorry, but it is that simple.
    To paraphrase the great Jimmy Breslin in re: Jean Harris, the cops lost me at the 20th shot.

11. And you're pretty much subliterate when you want to be.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm as bleeding heart as they come, but if the victim is white, this case is never brought. There was nothing close enough in the statements or grand jury testimony of the victims to prove criminal conduct.

Draft saved Draft deleted