1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Gov "involved" with prostituion ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Mar 10, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You've been waiting years to post that, haven't you? ;)

How is New York's succession set up? Do they have a Lt. Governor or Vice Governor who takes over, or will there have to be a special election to replace Spitzer?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Lt. Governor. Guy by the name of David Patterson. He'll be New York's first black governor, and he is also legally blind, which is interesting. I read something saying that the blindness doesn't effect him as much as it might someone else because he has a freakishly good memory... he can hear something or have a report read to him and he remembers it almost verbatim. At the least he'll be someone inspirational in the Governor's mansion. By all accounts, he seems like a good guy and his personality is very different from Spitzer's. Soft spoken, non-confrontational. Should be a nice change.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As I understand it, in addition to the the Lt. Governor moving up, and everybody below him also moved up the chain. Which makes Bruno, who Spitzer had tried to put in jail, the new Lt. Governor.

Somebody told me a story about Patterson the other day and I was wondering if anybody else heard or read this. A while ago, Patterson was asked what the Lt. Governor's job is. He said it was to wake up and call the governor. If he answers, go back to bed. I love that answer.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Give me one good reason why the Republican is ID'd as a Republican but the two Dems are not ID'd as Dems. Just one good reason. And "they forgot" won't wash.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

As the sentence in question states, he was enjoying great popularity despite being a Republican in a heavily Democratic state. I think that's the only reason it was even mentioned.

6. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Because it's a conspiracy. It's all a conspiracy. You're right to be paranoid. The media's filled with liberal hippies who are out to destroy Republicans. You found out the truth. Damn you!

Now shut up.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Tony, are you really seeing a lot of us on here saying it's OK that they didn't ID him as a Democrat? Haven't quite a few of us gotten down on the different media sources for NOT IDing him as such? What more do you want?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He and Yawn and the rest of that crew want somebody they consider to be a liberal to post what Grimace did, but without the sarcasm. Most of them need a dose of reality. One of them just needs a muzzle.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm going to miss having a governor refer to himself as "a fucking steamroller."

10. Grimace

Grimace Guest

There's a Cleveland Steamer joke in there somewhere. But because I'm not sure what it is, I won't make it.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

How much of the $80K went to...oh, I don't feel good about that joke!

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone think Spitzer might not have been as aggressive in prosecuting powerful people if he didn't have his family money to fall back on? I'm not knocking him taking down the wrongdoers he did, I haven't heard of a lot of his prosecutions being overturned, but it does make me wonder how much pressure is put on those who do look into going after the powerful, but shy away out of career concerns.

BTW - That the NYT's figured there was something more to the prostitution ring bust last week because it was headed by the public corruption asst. US Attorney is somewhat genius. Nice work. I imagine there were several news orgs that read that release and that fact got past them.

Draft saved Draft deleted