1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Daily News writer takes a different approach with his Mets lead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Apr 20, 2011.

1. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

No, they're suggesting that no one can ever change what they do to be more productive, or to make fewer errors, or to put some focus back on the coverage, or any number of other things that might lead to a better product for the reader.

It's the same argument made here year after year after year.

Finally, in-game tweets like the ones you mention are all too prevalent. They need to improve or die.

2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I watch most every game I can away from the press box, in the stands. But I have that luxury. In this case, it's highly doubtful a NY baseball beat reporter would be allowed by his/her editor to do the same. Especially when there are plenty of bodies -- side bar writers, columnists -- who can take that angle.
    Referring only to this subject and this article, it's just not a feasible suggestion for a beat reporter.

3. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

So no change. Pretty much what I said.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I get the whole idea of suggesting that the writer zag when everyone else is zigging, but this is a competitive beat with very tight deadlines and the writer's audience is red-meat tabloid baseball fans. In my opinion, he swung and missed on this lead, but his readers will forgive that a lot quicker than they would some bullshit interview with someone in the stands. A writer who attempted this would be directed to his Employee Assistance Program,especially if he found himself out of position when news breaks.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Really not understanding this concept of 'reporting' from the stands. The fans/readers are out there all the time, or watching as if they're there...do they need a beat reporter to catch them up on cute/heartwarming/zany fan tales? Assuming you'll actually stumble upon a story worth telling, or an opinion that isn't already shared by the entire fanbase.

And meanwhile, when the star outfielder gets drilled in the head with a pitch, or some crazy play erupts, or the manager punches the catcher in the face, you're in the stands chatting with Grandma on her 1000th visit to the stadium.

Is there reporting to do outside of the pressbox? Of course. Go talk to the people your readers can't access, get information no one else is looking for. But this idea of 'go to the stands and talk to the fans' is pretty trite, and as other have said more eloquently, completely unrealistic.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The "talk to the fan in the stands" might work in Springfield, but this is Capitol City.

Who here watched the Mets lose? It was blah, blah. No one could catch or field. Batters swung at anything. Same old thing until Bay came back, Emaus was released and Pagan was hurt.

Draft saved Draft deleted