1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Daily News writer takes a different approach with his Mets lead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Apr 20, 2011.

1. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

This is exactly it. I don't think for one minute Andy Martinez wrote that lead because he's tired of covering the Mets. That's not what it meant and not what he was trying to convey. I'm a Mets fan, and three weeks into this season, I can't even be bothered to watch this team because every night is another close loss, another baserunning blunder, another bunt that someone didn't get down. Other people see these things in their teams and realize it's only April 19. For Mets fans, it's pretty obvious it's going to be this way May 19, June 19, July 19, Aug. 19 and Sept. 19. It's three weeks into the season and already the air's been sucked out of everything. Hence the "blah blah blah."

Not, "Blah blah blah, I'm so tired of my job." Heck, he may very well love covering the Mets. But the team? Yeah, it's "blah blah blah." Already. And that's why it works on April 19.

I laughed so hard when my husband told me about this lead last night. Because I thought, yep. He nailed it.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

What song was that? I remember its existence but can't remember the name or who did it. It's bothering me now.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I thought it was Lewis Grizzard after Georgia lost to Georgia Tech.

Edit: and this is what I get for not reading until the end. Others have already chimed in.

As for the lede (lead) I liked it but you can only pull that out once. And yadda yadda yadda is only for the good stuff.

4. mrbio

mrbio Member

imagine stanley kubrick or donald fagen writing a game story or sports column? i think sportswriting needs more fearless creativity.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I loved it. Perfect illustration of the Mets' season so far.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Add me to the "no problem with it, but probably too early in the season" crowd.

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

As a Pirates fan, I highly resent ... well, no, I don't. Actually, I was wondering what took so long for someone to drag them into this.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought the Grizzard one was after a Florida-Georgia game. I might be wrong.

That's something that could only be pulled off by a humor columnist. The greatest thing about it is that nobody can ever do that again.

9. Mizzougrad96

I was wrong.

http://www.lewisgrizzard.com/biography2.htm

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

As I've noted ad nauseam, I couldn't agree less with this particularly of opinion of game-story writing.

To me, this should have been acceptable for game stories by main beat writers in 1982 -- let alone in 2011.

11. nate41

nate41 Member

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/20/blah-blah-blah-and-the-future-of-baseball-beat-writing/

Interesting response. I like the idea of game stories being more feature-ish, but dipping into too much commentary could be a slippery slope.

12. Mizzougrad96

A lot of papers have preached more opinion and more analysis in game stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted