1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Daily News writer takes a different approach with his Mets lead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Apr 20, 2011.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Nope. Lewis Grizzard, after Georgia lost to Georgia Tech.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yep, I was thinking of Grizzard. He could get away with it with his readers.

3. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

It sort of sucks, but some people here will say it's fabulous either because it's different or to squeeze in with that herd.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm with the group that says it could be OK, but it's way too early in the season.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think it's probably better used in September too but for an entirely different reason.

He's still got 145 more postgame visits to the clubhouse, might want to save one like this for deeper in the season.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If a gimmick doesn't make me laugh -- not think "kinda cute" but actually laugh -- then it isn't worth it.

7. mrbio

mrbio Member

Excellent display of creativity!

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was bad, although I think he could have saved the opening graf for later in the season. The second graf would have been an excellent lead.

9. EditingTool

EditingTool New Member

I have no problem with it.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Why would anyone want to "squeeze in with that herd" over something like this? It's a lede to a baseball story. You either like it or you don't. Simple. My life doesn't drastically improve because I decided to "squeeze in with that herd" and say I liked it.

Liking it because it's different? Yeah. That's a valid reason. Same reason people like trying new restaurants, or new titty bars. Something different.

But because you think it sucks...

11. I don't like it.
    For a gamer I think it sucks.
    As has already been pointed out it's waaaaaaay too early in the year for something like this. We aren't even 20 games into a 162-game season and this is the writer's attitude? Maybe if you covered the Pirates this would pass in April. The Mets are coming off two losing seasons.
    And I think the intro reads as a column.. With a LOT of the writer's opinion. You want to write about blah ... give me a lackadaisical attitude of the players? A guy sleeping on the bench. A lack of hustle by players to run out a ground ball. A quote from a player, or a coach or fans.
    I need more than just the writer's opinion to justify the lead.
    A column? Fine.
    A gamer? No.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I knew it was a southern writer. Might have been an improvement for Bisher[/onohedidnt]

And Stitch, you realize there's probably a middle ground, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted