1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Daily News: Bonds likely to be indicted when grand jury resumes (Sept.)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rokski2, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Two sentences in this Daily News story struck me and I was wondering if anyone could tell me more. Specifically:

"Bonds was called before the original BALCO grand jury in 2003, and he testified that he had taken drugs identified as steroids, but did not know what they were at the time. Part of his testimony was overheard by a Daily News reporter, and the full extent of it was reported a year later by the San Francisco Chronicle."

What does "part of his testimony was overheard by a Daily News reporter" mean? How does one "overhear" grand jury testimony? Does that mean a reporter was somehow in the grand jury room? (That's not possible, is it?) Or was perched close enough to the door to hear snippets? Or the reporter "overheard" someone reading a transcript or otherwise relaying what happened in the room? I'm at a loss here.

I apologize if this has long been established; I just hadn't noticed this element before.

I'll hang up and listen.

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I was wondering the same thing, Pete. How, exactly, did the NYDN 'overhear' this testimony? Isn't this the first we've heard of this? Is this an attempt to try to diffuse some of the heat (remember, Ellerman just got sentenced to 2.5 years, I believe) from the Chron Gang?

T.J. Quinn's article had a lot of interesting tidbits, and this was one of the first things that jumped out at me.

Nice reading and critical thinking, Pete. If anyone has the answers to Pete's questions, please feel free to provide them.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wow. A Pete sighting. :) Good to see you!

The Daily News has been throwing that line into stories about Bonds for quite a while. The answer to your question is that the reporter was able to overhear Bonds' testimony in the hallway outside of where he was testifying and the officials didn't realize it. At least T.J. Quinn has written as much. I am not sure if it is Quinn who actually overheard it. I vaguely recall that it wasn't him... it was a woman reporter maybe--not sure who? At least I have a vague memory of that, but I don't know for sure. I might be totally wrong. Anyone know if that is right and it is public knowledge who it was?

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I believe that was covered in Game of Shadows.

5. creamora

creamora Member

Quinn has claimed that he himself overheard a small amount of Bonds' testimory by standing outside the door in the hallway.
    Quinn made this claim right after Bonds' testimony in December 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted