1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nutri-System

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think we've done this before but I'm old and can't remember, so we'll do it again.

My son has his father's genes and has gained some weight. To his credit, he wants to nip it earlier and not end up completely like me. I'm trying to be active and eat better than I have been, so far so good. He wants to try Nutri-System, which seems expensive to me. I also have no clue how it tastes.

So that leads to my question: Anybody done it? Does the food blow? Is it enough food to keep you from wanting to eat the boxes, too?

2. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

A co-worker brought on a NutriSystem "pizza" one day. It appeared he was putting the contents of a colostomy bag onto a stale convenience store cookie. If all the meals are as bad as that, I imagine the reason you lose weight is because looking at your food makes you ill.

3. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Your son is probably young enough that if he just cuts out pop/soda and works out for 30 minutes a day, he'll be fine in no time.

He's probably too young to need a gimmick diet.

4. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Nurti-System stuff looks completely inedible to me. I'd lose weight if I starved myself, too. My family swears by Weight Watchers, since it involves changing your lifestyle rather than dieting. My wife has lost 25 pounds in 14 months, and my dad lost 70 pounds in 11 months six years ago and has kept it off. I haven't done it myself, but I've lost about 10 pounds accidentally since my wife started, just due to her healthier food choices for our family.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My mother went on Weight Watchers years and years ago. She was about 175 when she started on it and lost at least 35 pounds if I remember correctly.

NO diet is going to have long term effects unless it's accompanied by an exercise regimen.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Worked with a woman who did Nutri-System. She did indeed lose a bunch of weight. Got lots of compliments, bought new clothes.

A year later, she was as big as ever.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

My brother tried Nutri-System once, and hated it. Couldn't stand the food, and said there wasn't enough of it.

Of course, he is the one who delivered to our family -- over a hearty holiday dinner one night many years ago now -- this exasperated and immortal line regarding the rules of this touchy topic:

"If you like it, you can't eat it." ::)

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Its crap - loaded with sodium and all kinds of preservatives. It works because the total calories are so low. The only good thing about nutrisystem is that it gives people a track to follow.

Buy him "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips - its a complete workout/ proper nutrition program who's principles are very easy to follow.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Burgers, pizza, lasagna, hot dogs... POT ROAST!

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Nothing keeps the weight off of me better than playing hoops a few times a week.

The hard part is finding a decent game. I am playing in a nice 35+ league once a week. I just need to find another.

No open gym in the college? Lunch time hoops?

When I worked in a college athletic department we played every day at lunch, and I was in the best shape of my life.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

A temporary and unappealing fix to a lifelong challenge.

Get him a gym membership and a nutritionist, or send him over here, we'll whip him into shape.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He was in terrific shape for a while because he ate carefully and he ran regularly with his dog. I'm hoping that's what he'll do again. The dog will love it, which is an added bonus.

Draft saved Draft deleted