1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nun Sense

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 4, 2007.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Damn, I thought Fen was going to give us a critique of the play "Nunsense".

Never mind. :-X

2. Boy, now that's old school.
    Pretty funny show, though.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

MM, the fear I have of these nuns politicizing things is the same fear I have of fundamentalists trying to tell the rest of us how to live. That's why I expressed concern in the first place.

And I'm about as liberal as they come.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And when it's pacifist Catholic nuns, it's okay. When the same nuns speak out against abortion, some of you would be boiling with rage.
    Or, if a group of Baptist ministers came out in support of Pres. Bush, ditto.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And don't mistake someone telling, or preaching to you how they think you should live. Let me know if they suddenly have the power to MAKE you live how they think you should.
    Anyone who would like be a Christian in Iran would be able to explain that to you.

6. MUSLIMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The permanent threadjack.
    And aa, I don't think you can compare political speech by religious groups, including political activism by religious groups, on either side of the spectrum with the outright theocracy advocated by the groups I mentioned, and advocated by their products within the secular government at large.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The problem, which you apparently fail to recognize, is that many fundamentalist groups try to get elected officials to incorporate their beliefs. Hence idiotic things faith-based initiatives.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Let's see ....
    The ACLU wins almost lawsuit it files in relation to religious items or practices in public (10 commandements in courthouses, etc).
    A school system prevails almost every time a parent wants a book banned.
    Despite the hand-wringing from liberals, it's still easy to get an abortion anywhere in the U.S.

If Christian fundamentalist groups are trying to get elected officials to incorporate their beliefs, they're doing a pretty piss-poor job of it.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

We said they were crazy, not competent.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

They seem to be making strides, here and there, with regards to faith-based initiatives, same-sex marriage bans (although some states are seeing it right...a violation of civil rights) and more. It's a bit odd that you'd only post "setbacks" of fundamentalists without looking at the gains.

And just because they failed doesn't mean they're not still a threat. Think about all the foiled and failed terror plots of the past. Doesn't mean they weren't a threat because their batting average sucked.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The big difference is that when the fundamentalist Christian fail, they kind of shrug their shoulders and go back to church the next Sunday. At this point in our history, other religions groups don't exactly give up that easy.

12. Yes, Eric Rudolph gave up when Roe v Wade didn't go his way. So did Paul Kopp. So did Randall Terry. That's why it's impossible for women to exercise their right to choose in a huge percentage of counties in this country.
    And, anyway, this has nothing to do with the thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted