1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Numbers don't lie: Godless families raise better children

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 24, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You and I apparently don't share a lot of Facebook friends ... because I could find you dozens of instances in my news feed alone of atheists exhibiting exactly that behavior.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I didn't have it exactly right:

54 percent of Americans would be willing to vote for a hypothetical atheist.

58 percent of Americans would be willing to vote for a hypothetical Muslim.

Why would 46 percent of Americans be unwilling to vote for an atheist?

3. Dick Whitman

On my Facebook feed, there is no quicker way for someone to rack up dozens of "Likes" than to write about how one's grade-schooler or younger said some cute thing about Jesus or God.

4. doctorquant

I ain't buying that poll. You're gonna have a helluva time pinning "HATES AMERICA!" on me, but when it got down to brass tacks, I'd wager those numbers are inflated by at least an order of magnitude.

5. doctorquant

Oh, I've got those too (don't forget I hail from the Southeast). But I have a very ... ecumenical ... Facebook family.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Someone's unwillingness to elect you president of the United States is pretty far from a clear-cut sign of your morality or lack thereof.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I resisted posting when my then 6-year-old put on his "Star of the Week" poster that his three favorite "people" were Jesus, Olaf and Santa. I was envisioning my old sports editor posting "THEY'RE ALL MADE UP" and ranting for four paragraphs about how stupid religious people are.

8. Dick Whitman

Why would anyone use "godless" as an insult?

9. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Calling religious people "stupid" doesnt help...

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Are you trolling or do you not understand the difference between normal and italics? Not to mention links are included.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

These numbers are meaningless.

There are polls showing 46 percent of Americans are unwilling to vote for Barack Obama.

12. doctorquant

Sometimes folks around here post topics involving things they think are especially newsworthy. Sometimes folks post topics involving things they think are especially laugh-worthy. I wasn't sure into which category you intended your post to fall. I guess I have my answer now.

Oh, and I forgot one other thing ... Sometimes folks around here post things that make them come off like absolute dicks.

old_tony likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted