1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nuc-u-lar....Mer-i-ca.... Bo-RAT!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

the only movie I'm anticipating.
    nothing else matters.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't get the whole Borat thing. Not even one slight iota.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Ohhhhhh, Passy is not gonna be happy with you.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm pretty sure he and I have talked about it. Not trying to convince, just that I don't get it.

Fuerte loves him some Borat too, I think.

5. Me three.

This might have something to do with our government's touchiness when it comes to the Kazakhs.
    http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0779169.html

UPDATE -- Kazakhs have denied the story this pm.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

High Five!

7. Mizzougrad96

Sasha Baron Cohen is beyond brilliant as Ali G and Borat... It's satire at such a high level...

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Unless the Kazakhis help out with the marketing by adding to the publicity, this will be a small movie. It'll make some money and be popular among people who are already fans, but it won't have wide-spread appeal.
    This guy,as anybody, is entitled to make fun of whomever or whatever he wants. If he's got an audience, that's great for him.
    I just don't find what little I've seen funny. It strikes me as kind of mean spirited.
    Again, that's his deal and he should be allowed to be funny however he and his audience enjoy.

9. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

As I've said before, the thing with Bruno & the college wrestlers on spring break might be the funniest thing I've ever seen.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Borat is hysterical because he uses the character to make everyday Americans look like asses, not because the character itself is source of humor. That is why I am having a hard time imagining this movie is going to be very good. It sounds like it is Borat in a bunch of skits and made up situations as much as it is Borat making real people look like idiots. I'll keep an opening mind, because I have heard the movie is funny, but I am suspicious.

11. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

Dude, the movie is just one big skit about this travels in America.

It will be gold.

12. Mizzougrad96

This kind of movie isn't expected to make a ton of money... It probably cost a couple million to make, will make between $15 million and $20 million domestically and then about $10 million on DVD... For most movies that would make it a disaster, but for this one it will make it tremendously successful...

Draft saved Draft deleted