1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NTSB recommends nationwide ban on cell phones while driving

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

It's that whole two-hands-on-the-steering-wheel bullshit philosophy. Like what are the odds you're going to have to use both hands on the steering wheel? How are you going to hold the wheel, your cell phone, and your chili cheese burrito at the same time?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So when are they going to ban eating while driving? What about putting on make-up while driving?

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

The NTSB recommendation is not going to be put in force anytime in the next 12 months. 2012 is an election year and taking either side in this matter will alienate some fraction of the voting public; and in a major election year, alienation is to be avoided by all candidates.

Maybe - - if the NTSB does not lose its own copies of this recommendation - - they might get it back on the "active list" sometime after November 2012.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As soon as they have data showing that those two menaces lead to a statistical spike throughout the nation in car crashes and death.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Doesn't your neck get sore from sitting like that?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Distracted driving is distracted driving regardless of what you're doing.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If that's really the reason, I would think a law that mandates you keep both hands on the wheel at all times would be more effective. As others have noted, eating a chili cheese burrito or drinking a Mountain Dew would have the same effect.

It's my understanding that studies have concluded that it's the talking - and distraction that causes - while driving that is the problem, not having one hand on the wheel (In fact, I think Mythbusters conducted some experiments on taking while driving in an episode). So I would think that a blue tooth headset would do little to alleviate the distraction.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Right, I mean I'd have concerns if they had any designs on some vague "distracted driver" regulation--I mean how distracting is turning a radio dial?

As limited as it is, I don't think those concerns are quite the same.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And maybe they have done studies that show drivers being less distracted with the bluetooth, I don't know. It just seems like holding it wouldn't make that big of a difference.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I love it.

For me, the tough part is the hand off the wheel. I know most of us don't actually drive with two hands on the steering wheel, but you need to have it free for when you have to gain more control of the car. This happens a lot in parking lots I've noticed. Just drop the phone, you say? That split second can mean everything when you're driving.

And, for the record, I'd be in favor of a ban on eating, too. Anything that keeps a hand from being available at short notice.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

How about a ban on taking a portable DVD player and propping it up on the dashboard, just to the left of the steering wheel, so you can watch a movie during the commute? I saw an asshole in a Prius doing that a few months ago. And yes, I realize "asshole in a Prius" is redundant.

12. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

In all honesty, for me at least, it's not even about the hand. Talking on the phone is incredibly distracting. When I used to play Madden, I would start fucking up whenever someone called me. I couldn't focus on the game. I hate when people call me when I'm driving. I usually don't answer, or if I do, I say something like "yeah I'm almost there" and hang up. I don't use the phone or text and drive, not because I'm great, but because it's actually hard for me to do. I'm always baffled by how people are texting me when they drive. If I look at my phone for 3 seconds the car is veering off the road.

Draft saved Draft deleted