1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NSA whistleblower: Edward Snowden, 29

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jun 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Here's a 12-minute video conducted by The Guardian in Hong Kong.

Snowden outed himself but doesn't want to be the star of the show.

Too late for that, but he's still a sharp kid.

And he'll probably be dead or in jail within a year.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/09/edward-snowden-nsa-whistleblower-surveillance

2. It is sort of interesting -- and sad -- that he chose Hong Kong as his temporary safe haven.

I imagine he put a lot of thought into it. Hong Kong is still (somewhat) free and China offers one of the only countries that might be powerful enough to resist the U.S.

Of course, you could also become a prize for the Chinese, too.

Going public is the smartest thing he could do, but it still might not save him from prison. It should, at least, save him from being tortured, droned, "disappeared" or whatever else they might have had in store for him.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

From not getting a high school diploma to being privy to state secrets by 29. That's amazing.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

BOOTSTRAPS!!!!

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Rick Santorum was correct.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Odd the US media isn't celebrating him. Wonder why.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Knowing that Snowden is out there will make it much harder for the NSA and Administration to spin
    and minimize the story.

8. The spin is already in full-effect by intelligence types. I do wonder how much of it is true.

The spin is that he was an low-level IT monkey without even a GED -- not a spy -- who barely understood the secrets that he was stealing.

That said, this low-level IT monkey without even a GED was paid quite handsomely (even if you don't believe that he made 200k) and had forged quite a nice career.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What's the adequate level of celebration that will make you happy?

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I've forgotten the Biblical terms. On screen weeping, gnashing of teeth, rending of sackcloth, and sodomy.

That's a good start. Especially the sodomy. Who gets Wolf's ass first?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I just recall how much Assange was celebrated for revealing so much stuff on the Bush administration. Yet we're not hearing a peep about this from the US media.

As has been pointed out by others, it's a disgrace to the profession in this country how much of the criminal activity by the current administration is being broken by foreign media outlets.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Soledad's ass is due for some abusing too. Wolf might have to put on a strap on to pull it off.

I don't think strap ons had been invented in Biblical days. Maybe they used appropriately sized fruit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.