1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NPR essay on losing "America's trust"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Apr 9, 2024.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Non-profit journalism has a place. People can start all the watchdogs and democracy keepers they want.

It's just going to be the kind of news rich progressives and entrenched academics want journalists to write. Or the kind of news rich fringe lunatics want. And they're not typically interested in sports.

Side note: Non-profit is pretty common in the "Christian writing realm" and some of the stuff is good and some of it is pretentious and godawful, but almost all of it is niche. And some of these niches are not only boring, but curated to be boring.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

style guide

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Berliner was suspended.

The new CEO's old tweets are getting scrutiny, too. Reading them - there aren't many in the last two years - I'm not particularly set off, but I'm struck by the notion that she has to be the CEO almost solely to raise money for the operation.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

NPR is a non profit whose funding comes from dues from member stations (which are non profits mostly owned by publicly-funded institutions that don't have a lot of money), grants and corporate sponsors. It shouldn't be that surprising that her job is to go out and hit people up for money, pretty much 24/7. It's a fund raising job. It's made even more difficult by their chronic budget shortfalls. They need to raise money and sell whatever advertising they can. ... and they haven't been bringing enough in to support what they do.

SFIND likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agreed with all that.

And her tweets won’t hurt her, at all, with NPR’s core donor base. She’s progressive, so are they, and so are almost all of the journalists who work for NPR.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Berliner sounds like a whiny prick. That second interview is just icing on the cake.

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

And if I were a biz journalist at NPR, I'd be uncomfortable with him in the editing process. He's already proven untrustworthy.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The more honorable move would have been to resign about 12 minutes before the free press column goes public. His continued presence at the place will make the culture harder to change. A “this person was willing to leave to make his point” has some power to it.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I only listen to National Public Radio for the pledge drives.

swingline and Liut like this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Is your name Kramer, by chance?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Raising the question: how do you write journalism for an audience wanting to live a fiction?

Liut likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Sports journalists manage. Especially anyone covering the Cowboys.

Draft saved Draft deleted