1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NPR essay on losing "America's trust"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Apr 9, 2024.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In which the former boss who was passionate about the North Star diversity initiative had a HR complaint submitted against him for using the word “civility.”

Inside the Crisis at NPR

Note: Reporting process on this story predates Berliner’s essay by seven months.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

‘Civility’ has a racist past, professor’s new book argues | University of Detroit Mercy

“And I asked myself, does civility as a rallying cry work for social justice?” he said.

According to his research, the answer is no.

“From the beginning, you see how civility is a mask to hide racism,” he said.

That beginning, Zamalin says, was 1837, when South Carolina Sen. John C. Calhoun, on the floor of the U.S. Senate, blamed the national divisions over the issue of slavery on the incivility of Northern abolitionists.

“It is weaponizing the concept of civility because when you focus on civility, or the perception of incivility, you effectively shut down what they are trying to say,” Zamalin said.

www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2019/03/14/700897826/when-civility-is-used-as-a-cudgel-against-people-of-color

https://www.insidehighered.com/advi...vility-are-attempts-silence-messenger-opinion

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Is something different with Morning Edition? On my local station it used to be two hours of programming from 5-7, which was repeated. Now the station is repeating the first hour at 6-7.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Isn't EVERY hour pretty much the same?

Liut likes this.
  6. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Wisconsin Public Radio has offered two programming streams on its 38 statewide stations for years: the "Ideas Network," which consists mostly of locally-produced news, call-in and informational shows, and the "NPR News and Music Network," where "Morning Edition" currently resides. That will change on Monday, when WPR will make "News and Music" pretty much all music except for brief hourly newscasts, and move Morning Edition over to the Ideas schedule.
    It will also redeploy its stati0ns so that the former Ideas station that served much of the Milwaukee area will shift to Music, and Ideas/News listeners in the western metro area will have to get the programming from 970 on the AM band from Madison. That, or stream it online, an option the station is actively promoting.
    The News/Ideas side is actually reducing locally-produced programming, which has long been a point of pride for the network. The one exception is the popular midday call-in advice program, which expands from 90 minutes to two hours.
    I should add that UW-Milwaukee has its own public radio station that has programming along the same lines as the current "Ideas" lineup. I guess WPR figured they could cede its Ideas listeners in the area to WUWM.
    Just some local developments on the public radio front.

Liut likes this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I remember two completely different hours except for the news headlines. Wikipedia states NPR produces two hours,which are repeated. Lately, the 5 and 6 am hours sound the same.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The comment was more a reflection of their story choices. Sometimes when the "look ahead" to the coming hour and do the rundown, it really makes me laugh. And they really could improve Morning Edition and ATC if they just cut more things down to two minutes.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted