1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now up: McClatchy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HackyMcHack, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

your idea of akin is whatever you fucking want it to be.

and this discussion has little to do with bush, either.

again, what's your point?

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Geezus.

People, can we please keep this thread from getting locked?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep,that's pretty much the truth. When you get, say 200 people laid off and there's maybe 5 hiring, what are the odds?

I mean, tell me, how much sense does it make to send a resume to a place that is either 1) laying off people, 2) furloughing people, 3) filing for bankruptcy or 4) going out of business (see Seattle P-I)?

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Might make sense if you can lowball them and encourage the brass to dump a higher-priced scribbler. But you'll want to stay at the bottom of the pay scale forever, just to make sure no one can do it to you. ;)

5. micke77

micke77 Member

SF_ Express....my sentiments and confessions, too....i look back on what I could have been saving and putting away and, instead, spent it on some foolish things and didn't do the proper budgeting..i could have had much more in my IRA or 401K. some of this is my undoing. and i think the vast majority of Americans, if they truly looked at themselves in the mirror, would admit that some of this can be attributed to a desire to go overboard on some things. now we're all suffering from it. i have second-guessed myself many a time as to some of the things i did financially that are now--with the current economic state of affairs--really biting me in the ass.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Right about now, I'd consider finding another suitable income in any industry "landing on your feet." That's a tough prospect, too.

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I remember when I was 22, less than a year out of college, and signing up for a financial plan that included setting aside $100 a month in some sort of growth fund that paid someting like 6-8% a year. That was almost 30 years ago. I gave up less than six months into it so I could have more blow money.

I figured it out once that had I kept on doing just that same $100 a month at 6%, until the downer of the last six months, this would have been worth more than $200K or thereabouts. Not enough to retire on, but certainly a good base 15 years out from retirement age.

What a stupid I am.

8. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

If Sid Hartman needs $$, I'm sure his best BF Bobby Knight will be available for a bailout. Sid's been a member of the Friends of Bob club for decades, one of the plants Knight uses when he wants to get messages out. Surprised he didn't use Sid for his Georgia trial ballooon. But then he had Fisher in Atlanta to do his dirty work on that one.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You certainly aren't alone. Someone titled it "the tyranny of the urgent". It takes more self-discipline than most of us have to deny ourselves that vacation, newer car, electronic toy or whatever in favor of saving for something decades down the road.

But, as a wise-ass former colleague said upon reading a story of a man killed in his 20s, "that's one retirement plan that won't see the light of day."

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Bisher.

Draft saved Draft deleted