1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now THAT'S what I call irony: Elijah Dukes fined...FOR PUBLIC SERVICE!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I think it's safe to say there are no winners in this bunch -- save for the Little League organization that raised the $501.

Dukes should have cleared this with the team beforehand. The team shouldn't have penalized him. And my guess is other leagues will have a tougher time getting players to show up for events like their opening days.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Falling down the stairs hurt me on Sunday. Listening to Rob Dibble wax idiotic on this topic on XM Tuesday was worse. Doubly so given Dibble is a Team Moddy homer these days.

I didn't even disagree with him, but the route he took to defend Dukes made me want to wing my radio at a passer-by.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

And it wasn't public service, it was a paid personal appearance. He was charging the league $500 for being there.

4. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I bet Dukes saw very little of that 500. It was probably set up by his agent who saw most of that money.

5. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

I used to go check out the Minor League team closest to me. Dukes played for them. Was always really cool with me. Interesting figure to me, because of that, just because I don't think he is as bad a guy as what has been portrayed. That being said, this incident doesn't look all that bad for him imo, especially not since the Little League wants to pay his fine now.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Disagree with you both. When a guy that troubled does something positive, a good manager, interested more in his team than looking like he is in charge, will look the other way. The manager who looks the other way, actually looks more in charge. Joe Torre has rules, but he knows when something is a big deal worth blowing up over and and something isn't. And it's why he keeps dumb, negative attention like this away from his team.

According to that story -- and if it is correct -- it was 5 minutes past an Acta rule. Be real. If Dukes showed ridiculously late to the ball park, missed batting practice, wasn't in uniform for the National Anthem, yeah, it's a problem. But according to that story he was 5 minutes, violating some third-grade rule designed to establish "team discipline." That is fine, and those kinds of managers can be effective, but have the flexibility to take into account a special circumstance. It's baseball. The Bill Parcells, Tom Coughlin approach has never been particularly effective in baseball.

When your jackass player, who has a history of trouble, gets to the ballpark 5 minutes after your rule because he was giving a speech to a bunch of little leaguers, it's really OK to look the other way. Not looking the other way leads to a story like this, in which your sorry franchise looks even sorrier. It sounds like he was conscientious enough to know that he had to be at the ballpark and was looking at his watch and sprinted to his car as soon as he could.

I can't believe I am reading about Elijah Dukes, of all people, getting in trouble and shaking my head over how he was being mistreated for actually trying to be a decent guy.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Again, he did a good thing the wrong way. If he was really being conscientious, he would have planned to leave enough time to make the appearance and get ot the ballpark on time. But Dukes had to do it his own way rather than work with the team. Perhaps he was being a nice guy, but he wasn't thinking it through.

Your remark about what works in baseball doesn't really hold up very well, either. Perhaps it doesn't work as an overall managerial style (that's another debate), but this is a very unique case. This isn't some model citizen who kinda slipped up. This is a guy who has proven himself to be a problem. Is that a double standard? Yup. Joe Torre uses those, too. You want some leeway when you screw up? Earn it.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's a major league clubhouse, not a military barracks. The good managers know when to look the other way and when to be disciplinarians. It's common sense. Bill Parcells had the strictest rules of any football coach I have every known, and Lawrence Taylor shit all over them. Parcells largely looked the other way, as long as Taylor showed up to play on Sunday. Taylor was never going to completely conform and if Parcells had turned it into a war of wills, he wouldn't have had LT when it mattered. One size fits all is usually a bad idea. In this case, Dukes was at opening day at a little league. The net effect was that he got to the ballpark 5 minutes after Afta's rule. Even Tom Coughlin might chuckle at this. No harm, no foul. Someone smart would have smiled over the fact that Elijah Dukes was doing a little league opening rather than calling the clubhouse to see if anyone there could bail him out on an assault charge.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ragu is absolutely, 100 percent correct on this. And, no, a player doesn't have to "clear" what he does in his personal time with the club.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yup.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ditto.

But has anyone wondered if he was really five minutes late because he couldn't find a uniform that had "NATIONALS" spelled correctly on the front?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And the fact that Milledge did the same thing and wasn't benched....well, that just stinks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted