1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now that's a fire!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually the fact you didn't know the car was on fire probably worked to your advantage. You may have reacted as calmly if you thought the car was about to explode.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True. Until I got the face full of smoke while pulling the bags from the trunk, I was just being cautious and making sure my little one was ok.

I really wish I had the pictures. Mrs. OOP is going to download them later. I've been sending them to a few people from my cell phone. The reactions are priceless.

Worst yet from my best friend. One word. "Smokin!"

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you are OK.

Try your best to find out what exactly caused this fire and keep a record of it. I would also check to see if this car has had any recalls.

I saw a truck catch fire behind my mother's house in the Burgh.

Guy threw a bunch of bagged household trash in the back of his pretty nice Nissan pickup. Well a clear glass jar of something rolled out and the bright sunlight hit it perfectly. Well this caught the garbage on fire, which caught the bedliner on fire, which caught the...

It was about 25 minutes total. Pretty cool, but I am sure he felt sick inside. I cannot remember why we didn't try putting it out. I think it was too far along when we walked back there.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Irony.

As I read this thread, the radio station I listen to at work was playing Bruce... "You can't start a fire without a spark."

Seriously, OOP, all that matters is that you and your little one are OK. For that, we are all very happy.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Echoing the sentiments that everyone is OK.

But yes, find out if there has been a recall on your car recently. There have been tons that I have heard of. Check out clarkhoward.com for more info on that.

6. outofplace

If the insurance company does figure it out, I'll certainly keep a record. So far, no such luck. I know they haven't seen the car yet.

I did forget to check on recalls. The adjustor did ask me about that last night. Thanks for the reminder. So much to deal with and I'm still feeling like crap.

Thanks for the website, byedesign.

I appreciate all the kind sentiments. No matter how frustrated I am with all of this, including the expense of getting a new car long before we had planned it, I keep finding myself counting blessings.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Damn, dude. Glad everyone is OK.

Did you get the address of the couple who stopped? I think they'd be on my Christmas card list for a few years.

8. outofplace

Hanging my head in shame on that one. I really should have. It was all a blur and I didn't. I actually put a call into the state trooper to see if he got any information on them, but he did not.

Next time I see somebody who could use the help, I'm stopping. I can't do anything more for those people, so I'm just going to have to pass along their kindness to somebody else.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Great job by you and Little Oop.

Fire may have been caused by the emergency brake, not the car breaking down. The smell of brakes burning is another one you don't forget.

10. outofplace

Anybody know how to insert an mpeg into a post? Pictures are downloaded, but that's all I've got.

Edit: Darn. That didn't work.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I send them to flikr and link from there.

12. outofplace

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53513103@N02/4945098025/

Can't seem to put it in the thread, but here is a link.

Draft saved Draft deleted