1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now that's a correction

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

From what I read on the BLOG! and from a buddy of mine in Vegas, the reporter who wrote the thing is a fairly solid veteran reporter, who has been known to be a little sloppy.

2. BRoth

BRoth Member

Heaven forbid any of the Sun's story have an "anti-Summerlin tone." That would be the end-all. I know someone's going to get an angry e-mail. Maybe I'll cancel my subscription!

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So he knew enough to get a whole lot of misinformation. Good for him!

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Then why is he still in the business?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How can you be "fairly solid" and "known to be a little sloppy" at the same time?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It all adds up to "pretty mediocre."

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

cuz what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas

8. Agree 100 percent. I guarantee you GGP -- the developers of Summerlin -- went straight to the publisher on this one.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

This is a wonderful case example of why not to take the coments on your Web site too seriously. It seems as though someone in a budget meeting said, "Look at the derogative responses to this crime on our Web site. There must be an undercurrent of bourgeoise angst and racism. There's a story here."

And, of course, there was no story because anonymous Internet posting harbors the butt-headed, overreactive mindset of people, the side they won't show in person.

10. I don't think there should be a hard-and-fast rule against using anonymous message board stuff.

To use one example, there's a Web site called NYPD Rant, which includes some of the most vile, racist, fascist stuff you'll ever come across on the Web. Most of the (anonymous) posters appear to be current or retired NYPD cops. The site has been written about in the New York media, even though the identities of the posters can't be conclusively proven.

The NYT recently did something similar to the LV Sun in an article about Shaker Heights, Ohio, and the resentful attitude some Clevelanders hold told toward the city's residents.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/us/17shaker.html

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Quoting anonymous message board ranters is good enough for the Plain-Dealer, dammit!

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So are you Ace. So are you.

Draft saved Draft deleted