1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now that the World Cup is over......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chuck~Taylor, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Is anybody going to watch the club teams play? I love watching soccer, but I could never find a channel that would show club soccer games. I recently found out that I can get this channel called Fox Soccer Channel(or something like that) that shows non stop soccer.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I'll watch it if I can find it, though that's limited to what Fox Sports Net shows. I still have zero interest in the MLS.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yeah, the MLS isn't really some thing I would love to watch. But I would love to see Arsenal,Man U,Barcelona,Juventus,and Real Madrid games as much as I see NFL and NBA games. Anyone else agree with me?

4. this_guy

this_guy Guest

Fox Soccer Channel is very good for that. They show a couple of games live during the week. And then they replay them throughout the week.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Now that the World Cup is over......we can spend the next four years safely ignoring soccer. ;D

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The World Cup is over?

I thought someone had to score first...

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm not so much into the club teams. I'm just waiting for training camps to open now.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've been watching for several years ... it's great, especially in you're into the EPL. They also show some German, French, Spanish, Italian, and South American matches, but their bread-and-butter is definitely the EPL.

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I like the fuzzy TV feeds from South America. When's Fluminense-Flamenco? River Plate-Boca Juniors, anyone?

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fluminense's jerseys rule.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

No. I only watch soccer during the World Cup.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Chuck, if you've got Fox Soccer Channel, you can follow the English Premier League very closely.
    They'll show 2-3 games on most Saturdays, one on Sundays and often one on Mondays. Of those, probably 4 are going to be live and two or three will be same-day tape.
    There is usually a pay-per-view game each week, and Fox Soccer Channel will usually repeat that game on Tuesdays. So if you want to watch it without knowing the score, it's not all that tough.
    Fox Soccer Channel also shows games from the French Ligue 1 and German Bundesliga.

Also, ESPN2 has been showing two games each week from the Champions League, which is the top European club competition. The format is similar to the World Cup, with teams drawn into groups of four and playing each other and then knockout stages once that is complete. It culminates in a championship game in May that is the closest thing club soccer has to a Super Bowl. Great stuff.

Oh, and by the way -- MLS is extremely underrated. I say that because most people consider it to be crap, and it's much better than that. It is not on the level of the great European Leagues. But it is worth your time.

Draft saved Draft deleted