1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now it can be told: The link between Francisco Franco and WKRP's Big Guy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Whilst preparing for my wife's just completed surgery (she's doing well), I bought a book about the Spanish Civil War. I'm pretty keen on history from 1880-1939, but my knowledge of the Spanish Civil War was basic. The book is Anthony Beevor's The Battle For Spain. I recommend it based on what I've read so far. I had no idea the war was as brutal as it was.

Anyway, I'm reading about early Nationalist advances in the war when I came upon this paragraph.

"In the south, near Andujar, a detachment of 1,200 civil guards and Falangists was holding out in the mountain monastary of Santa Maria de la Cabeza under Captain Cortes. Nationalist pilots devised an original method of dropping fragile supplies.

They attached them to live turkeys which descended flapping their wings, thus serving as parachutes which could also be eaten by the defenders
    ."

And just so no one thinks I'm bullshitting, it's on page 124, top graph.

I knew WKRP had some nefarious backers, but I never dreamed the Big Guy was a propoganda minister of a fascist, Franco-ian conspiracy. No wonder WKRP didn't play rock music all those years.

Pues el dios es mi testigo, pensé que los pavos podrían volar ... Viva la muerte!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thought it was they are both still dead...

3. Bubbler

That too ... planning some fascist, Falangist plot in hell no doubt.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Saint Mary of the head?

6. Bubbler

I wondered about that too. But I looked it up and it exists.

Them crazy Spainiards.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Also, neither have been in my kitchen.

(I know, I know, but someone had to make it.)

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Bubbler

[​IMG]

"He who is not with us is against us!"

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hey, at least she's still a virgin. ;)

11. Bat, from downtown....YESSSSSSS!!!!!!

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

re: St. Mary o' the Head.

I'm guessing this is a reference to an event during the reconquista...a bull's head supposedly marked a hidden mountain pass through which the Spanish forces passed...thus enabling them to surprise and kick the asses of some Moors in an important battle. Wish I could remember more, like names and dates, but I don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted