1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now, here's a sport to cover.....roller derby....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 26, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071123.wlderby23/BNStory/lifeMain/home

New league just opened up in Montreal.

Founded by Concordia University student Alyssa Kwasny (a.k.a. Georgia W. Tush), the MTLRD featured more than 40 women and three teams: La Racaille (Dirt), Les Contrabanditas (Pirates) and Les Filles du Roi, (The King's Prostitutes). With homemade uniforms and old-school roller skates, the players ham it up for the crowd

Beer of choice: Pabst Blue Ribbon.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Paging Skinny Minnie Miller and Diane Sieberson.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They serve PBR in Canada?

Oh, how I used to want to rush home from the relatives to watch another roller derby or AWA episode on ESPN ...

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I managed track down a really good friend from HS through Facebook, and, since it was our only mutual acquaintance, was pretty much obligated to add her friend from HS, who happened to be my ex-girlfriend. She was a figure skater and kind of a puck bunny back in the day.

She's a roller-derby chick now.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't think they sell PBR here in Ontario but you can substitute that Steelback swill, as long as they're still in business which probably won't be long.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would much rather date a derby girl than a head cheerleader.

Most cheerleaders just make you miserable.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That is why I love French: You can make "dirt" sound elegant.

There should be a running thread for skater names. My favorite is Iona Handgun.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The King's Prostitutes have just joined the Peter North Stars as the greatest team names I have heard lately.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

and the Macon (Georgia) Whoopie

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Georgia W. Tush -- I love it.

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

http://www.calgaryrollerderby.com/

I've got a few friends who play in this league... one a referee. They recently attended some sort of international roller derby conference in Vegas, where they played outdoors in 44 C heat for a couple hours - ugh.

They've had a fair bit of coverage in the Calgary papers.

Edit: And no, not in the sports section.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

we've got like three different leagues here in town. there's a resurgence of roller derby across the country

Draft saved Draft deleted