1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now batting: Fort Wayne

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 28, 2017.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Story's a little confusing, but here's the nuts and bolts:

Fort Wayne's a two-paper town, at least for the next several months. News-Sentinel, the PM paper in the area, is going bye-bye in print but transferring to a digital format for the most part.

No word on job losses.

Sounds like the N-S will be an online only like the Seattle PI, but it will have a few select pages in print like the Las Vegas Sun does with the Review-Journal.

Whether this means the Journal Gazette gets slightly bigger on some days or just stays the same, it doesn't say.

News-Sentinel announces transition to digital format - News-Sentinel.com

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Fuck.

I was SE at the N-S in another lifetime. Great people there. I know they had laid off the longtime college writer not too long ago. Sucks that was only the beginning. The institutional knowledge that will be missing in print now is astounding. In fact, the aforementioned college writer and two of the other N-S stalwarts are all in the state's journalism hall of fame.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Sad to see this too, QYFW. Been a few years since I've been to Fort Wayne, but I always thought News-Sentinel was a good companion to the J-G.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The second job interview of my life (and first airplane ride) was to Fort Wayne for a job at the Journal-Gazette. Took a job in Charleston, S.C. (my first job interview) before FW could say yes or no.

5. bevo

bevo Member

I remember one of the Fort Wayne papers wanting me to find a nearby college professor to administer their editing test before they would interview me. As I was living in BFE Texas at the time and the closest college was 40 miles away, I decided to take a pass on Fort Wayne.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That's a bummer, Q. We see too many sad stories like this over and over again. I'm just trying to run out the clock to retirement before this type of thing happens to me.

QYFW likes this.
  7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

News-Sentinel --- is that the old Knight Ridder paper?

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Yes.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Interviewed at the morning paper many moons ago. Thought I had a real shot at it. Didn't work out.

That's a "what if" I forgot about. At the time I really wanted that gig. But I wouldn't change a thing looking back now.

Anyway, as usual, sad to see another one go.

playthrough likes this.
  10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Fort Wayne is about two hours southeast of me (soon to be about an hour southwest... lol). I always thought both papers were under-rated. That's a fairly good city in terms of what sports are offered.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Yep. Great prep scene, tons of interest in IU, Purdue, Notre Dame. IPFW in town has storied volleyball program and I believe is D-1 in hoops. Minor-league baseball team and a minor-league hockey franchise that is one of the oldest in the country. And Colts.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it in a long time, but it has been an excellent paper, especially sports. More familiar with the morning paper than the afternoon.

Lots of great stuff to cover, as you noted. Anyone have info on how much they've had to scale back resources? My recollection from years ago is they were represented at pretty much all major college and pro games, plus excellent on high school coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted