1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now a mac guy, what do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Bought the 11-inch mac book. Love it, but have no idea what to do with it.

For example, how do I transfer my itunes library from a PC?

Anything else I need to know?

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

They make it pretty easy to move your itunes library actually. Try http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/ and http://www.macworld.com/article/146958/2010/03/move_itunes_windows_mac.html

Also, make sure you run software update over and over until there's nothing more to update. You will wind up with the new app store for Mac, which just launched last week. Looks interesting.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

That you're better than non-Mac users.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You don't need to know anything. The computer runs itself.

Enjoy.

5. accguy

accguy Member

Congrats. Welcome to the light side.

And six months from now you'll wonder why you didn't change previously.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

That you paid too much for a laptop?

7. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

... worth every damn penny.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Love mine and I'll never use a PC again.

First thing you need to do, well, after updating the software, is download Google Chrome and use it. It's a far better browser than even Safari. Trust me.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Mozilla Camino (essentially the Mac-optimized version of Firefox) has done me well in browsing. Only thing is that it doesn't have a ton of plug-ins -- sometimes the Firefox plug-ins are incompatible. I've been meaning to give Chrome for the Mac a try.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I second TigerVols on Chrome. If Safari pops up, it's on accident.

11. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Invest in computer insurance. Seriously. My work Macbook is a piece of shit possessed by a demon.

Like any maker, Mac has its bad apples out there. Mine is one of them. *kicks it* Other people love them. Good luck with yours.

As far as advice, be careful with overuse on the hand rest. All of our work laptops, even ones that run like a dream, have cracking and broken plastic at the handrest. This might not be an issue with new models. Also watch the batteries (though again, this might be fixed by now). We've had several of ours swell up because of internal corrosion that could eventually have led to more, er, explosive issues. If the battery on the bottom fits flat, it's fine. If it's bowing out, find a techie right away.

There are great browsers out there, and Safari kind of sucks. I use Firefox on mine, but Chrome is also great.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

It just works. Except when it doesn't. Or when Steve Jobs deems it unnecessary to work in a certain way. Should have saved $500+ and got another PC. Not the kind of advice you were seeking, I know.

Draft saved Draft deleted