1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Novel or screenplay? Which would you be better at?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Since probably junior high, I've dreamed of writing the Great American Novel. And I've tried my hand at fiction. I've probably written the first 1,500 words of a novel 10 times, at least.

Now I'm wondering if I might be better at trying to write a screenplay instead. Hell, even try to get it made some day independently. It just feels like I would have a knack for the mechanics of it more than I would a novel.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I don't have quite the hand for dialogue that you'd have to have with a screenplay ... of course, that doesn't mean the five in-some-sort-of-draft-form novels are going to be written anytime soon, unless something comes up and kicks me in the ass for motivation.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's 15,000 words. What's that, like 30 pages?
    Wrap that puppy up, Mr. Verbosity.

4. 10 different novels, though :)

5. I think I could write a screenplay about Jeannie Zelasko's tits.

It could be set in Sandals where Kevin Kennedy's acne and Eric Karros' 5-head battle to get the attention of Jeannie's tits only to be rebuffed as Jeannie's ass convinces her to spend time with a giant cheese cake instead.

Kevin Kennedy's acne and Eric Karros' 5-head then oil each other up and have passionate sex - both screaming "Oh Piazza!" at the moment of climax.

- fade to purple -

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Chris was good at the beginning, but then he went too far.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think I'd do decently at writing a novel. The online RPG I just returned to consists of a LOT of writing similar to what you'd find in novels.

I've been told I have a knack for creating realistic characters. I even did a roleplay of a nation going through an economic crisis two years ago that looked eerily similar to the current panic.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I just barfed in my mouth a little. Thanks, Chris_L.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Neither. ADHD.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Maybe you could write really short, disjointed novellas.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Short stories

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there is anything harder, as a writer, than penning the Great American Novel.

We're lucky if, every three years, we get one that is acclaimed critically and commercially.

Almost every year, we get at least one movie that meets those standards.

Two different disciplines, both extremely difficult, but I believe in my heart of hearts that writing a successful novel is a much steeper mountain to climb. Let's call it the difference between Everest (screenplay) and K2 (novel).

Both are for experts only, but amateurs manage to climb Everest every year with help.

Try to climb K2, and there is a good chance you die a horrific literary death.

Draft saved Draft deleted