1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame Student Manager Dies in Tower Collapse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 27, 2010.

1. noodles

noodles Member

Not even Nore Dame can put a spin on this one as faulty equipment/failure. Winds were gusting over 50 mph around time tower toppled. The student-manager, rest in peace, posted on his Facebook/Twitter that he was scared out of his mind going up there.

Anyone associated with this should be fired. Today. Video coordinator. Football administrator for athletic department and any coach who insisted that practice had to be filmed from that height.

Neglect, ignorance and shear stupidity resulted in a 20-year-old not being able to return to his dorm tonight. How do you face that kid's family?

Beyond sad.....

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Holy shit this is his Twitter posts, supposedly:

http://yfrog.com/mzpjftj

3. noodles

noodles Member

If those are authentic, there is no wriggle room for the university. None. He shouldn't have been up there in the first place. And now he's gone.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

A person should not be required to operate video equipment in this day and age. A remote camera would do the trick.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not a chance. And I fear this young man won't be nearly as lionized as the ND recruit who got wasted on vacation and slipped off a fifth-floor balcony.

Absolutely maddening story.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Even more maddening ... they practiced indoors Tuesday because of the high winds, and anyone in the upper Midwest can tell you today the winds were higher. Oh, and that they resumed practice after the accident today.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Being that I used to do the same job for a D-II school when I was in college, someone is losing their job for this. There is no way a kid should have been up that high in winds that strong!

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how anyone could make a solid argument that this isn't on Kelly.

I mean, isn't he the one who makes the call on things like - what time they will practice, where they will practice and what part of practice will be filmed from above?

I'm not saying the guy needs to be fired - though, this is pretty bad - but it really is on his shoulders.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

If those are real, holy god. I got chills just reading those.

Condolences to his family.

10. derwood

derwood Active Member

Athletic Director, Head Coach and Video Director would be a good start.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Exactly what I thought. These guys run everything, down to deciding what color pens will be used at the complex. This kid's blood is on his hands.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

It is utterly pathetic that this kid, as frightened as he was, obviously didn't feel comfortable or strong enough to be able to say, "No way am I going/staying up in this tower on a day like this. It's just not worth it. If you don't like it, fire me."

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted