1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nothing says credibility like a nude centerfold

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the best celebrity pictorials I've ever seen, that's for sure.

2. I remember being at a flea market years ago and a guy had thousands of old nudie mags, 50s and 60s Playboys and the like. He was selling them as collectibles.

3. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Hey let's all click on that link at the same time and e-circle jerk!

Everyone free at 2 p.m.?

4. Mizzougrad96

My grandfather had the first issue of Playboy. He had leafed through it once and immediately put it in a plastic wrapper. You could pick something up at the bookstore that wouldn't look as new. He was like that with magazines, baseball cards, everything...

He sold it to buy my grandmother a bracelet right before he died. I'm not positive what he got for it, but I think it was around $1,500 and this was almost 20 years ago. He teased me and said, "You'll have to settle for my baseball cards..." ;D

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And here I thought I was offering up a public service. :)

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

When it comes to Danica Patrick, what is this "credibility" of which you speak?

She's a middling to upper-middling IRL driver. Her marketability is more important then her credibility.

I'm willing to bet a larger number of people care more about her bumpers than her races.

7. Mizzougrad96

She's one of those "athletes" that people know better from her commercials than they do anything she's done on a racetrack.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

better danica than dale jr

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'll submit that far more Playboy readers were familiar with Dian Parkinson back in the day than know who Heidi Montag and Lisa Rinna are today. Used to be PB wouldn't run a celebrity pictorial unless they showed something, now they don't give a shit. (I think Jayne Kennedy started that shit way back when.)

The mag is a disaster now, filled with pics of Hef and his bimbos du jour, Maxim-worthy pictorials and interviews that are either with nobodies or are way too short. I have been reading it for almost 30 years (first copy I got in my subscription was Dec. 1980, the issue with the Lennon interview) and can't remember the last time it had a noteworthy interview (Chad Kroger, what the fuck?) or pictorial. I've got boxes of them in my crawl space, maybe a flea market will be their next destination.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I think about 98 percent of their interview subjects are pretty solid.

Overall point taken, though. Is it bad that the first thing I do is skip to the back of the mag to see the celeb nip slips?

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ha, Celebrity Breast of the Month was always one of my first stops too!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Mizzougrad96

I got a subscription for my 16th birthday from my uncle. My first issue was Pamela Anderson's centerfold. It seems amazing that that was almost 20 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted