1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nothing says credibility like a nude centerfold

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As a longtime Playboy subscriber, I can say that mag has gone for a major shit the last few years. The celeb pictorials are shit, C and D-listers at best and they rarely show anything. No more Dian Parkinson/Katarina Witt-type pictorials here.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Orville, Danica and her husband are happily married. (Disclosure: I've spent time one-on-one with the family, they're pretty darn normal.)

I think it's an unnecessary cheap shot to bring that up in the context of this discussion. That's all.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I sold all of the Anna Nicole issues, every one sold to people who live down south.

I used to have Pamela Anderson's first two issues. Her first cover (1988) and her first centerfold (1989). It was almost eight years ago, but I think I got $125 for her first cover and $200 for her first centerfold.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I did not know that about Danica's hubby.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How much did you get for the Anna Nicole issues?

Man...triple figures for old Playboys? That's nice. You sell them online?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A "threesome" is not normal.

7. Mizzougrad96

Well, Dian Parkinson was as D-list as you get, but that was a good pictorial. I remember walking into Tower Books as a high schooler and seeing Stephanie Seymour on the cover. I think this was weeks before the SI swimsuit issue came out and she was currently doing the GNR videos and other than Cindy Crawford, was the most popular model working.

Now, they get Heidi Montag and she doesn't even show anything. I don't think Kardashian showed anything either. Now if they get a has-been like Lisa Rinna they act like it's a big deal.

8. Mizzougrad96

More than $100 is rare. I got that for the two Pam issues, the Drew Barrymoore issue, and the first Cindy Crawford issue. I actually made more selling the first several issues of Maxim, which I was sent for free when it first started. I got over $200 for the first issue that was still wrapped.

I was definitely quite the pack rat when I was single. I think I get four magazines now (Esquire, Rolling Stone, US Weekly and EW). I think I've gotten Esquire free for well over a decade because I got on a media mailing list back in the day.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I can't believe somebody would buy a "used" Playboy.

10. Maybe they are normal.
    But the guy - at worst - had issues and enjoyed himself some underage sex and a few violations of professional conduct.
    This happened more than once and there are records.
    I'm not accusing him of screwing around on her. This stuff happended prior to the marriage but it did happen.
    You wanna call it a cheap shot - fine, but I'm not seeing it.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Google with the filters off can be a beautiful thing. Definitely NSFW.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hogrockcafe.com/Katarina%2520Witt%2520-%2520Playboy1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hogrockcafe.com/katerini_witt.htm&usg=__wKgxsq6S6d2zywTm74LkFUE6sAc=&h=593&w=561&sz=55&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=KhlzY92SYqjnQM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkatarina%2Bwitt%2Bplayboy%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

12. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I thought so too, but the people who spend a decent amount of money on an old issue with a big celebrity are more interested in it as a collector than they are in the way you would expect.

I would get a lot of questions about whether subscription cards were still attached and stuff like that than you would think. I had one guy ask me to buy a case to send it in.

Draft saved Draft deleted