1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nothing much happened before 1877 anyway

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Feb 10, 2010.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

North Carolina considers putting high school history classes on fast forward.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/6997068/

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Most of the damn history classes I had never got beyond the Civil War. It's not as though they don't teach that stuff in any other year in school.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Terrible idea.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I heard about this from a Facebook status of a friend of mine. He's actually a senior in high school in Ohio.

He and I both think it's one of the dumbest things we've heard in a while. For me, it's right up there with Kansas public schools teaching intelligent design.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Unbefuckinglievable.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I didn't know ESPN execs were on the state Department of Public Instruction.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I was surprised to learn that they already start at 1789. That's troublesome too, although pre-Colonial and Colonial-era history was always a drag on what was otherwise my favorite subject.

The concept itself isn't bad. They just need an earlier class to cover what happens pre-1877.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Seriously, how many times do kids need to learn that George Washington was the father of the country and that Abe Lincoln freed the slaves?

The damn White House press secretary didn't know what the Bay of Pigs invasion was. And she's young enough that I think that points to a slight flaw in the presentation of history curricula.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Only North Carolina could be this stupid.

Congratulations ... this will undoubtedly reinforce the belief that the South is still in denial of slavery and that the Civil War was never lost.

Good freaking grief ...

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed...

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Currently in a graduate class called ... American History Since 1877.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hate you. I was coming on here to make an ESPN crack.

Oh well, well done, genius. :D :D :D

Draft saved Draft deleted