1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nothing like the smell of F--- You in the morning.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Jan 21, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Wake up this morning to the sound of rapid dripping. I had feared frozen pipes on an outside wall in the upstairs bathroom as it got pretty damn cold this weekend in the upper midwest.

I discover a major leak coming through the ceiling in the bedroom closet. Run upstairs into the bathroom and can hear the sound of spraying water. But it's not coming from the outside walls behind the tub. No, it's coming from under the sink vanity against an inside wall. No frozen pipe, but a cracked fitting.

Anyway, major cleanup now mostly done. Plumber has just left after replacing the hot (the offending) and cold water valves with metal fittings instead of the cheap plastic ones that came with the house.

Surprisingly, only $114 for the plumber, but the worst is probably still to come as I wait for everything to dry and pray I don't end up with a huge mold problem inside the walls.

So, how did your week start out?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm still glowing from the Packers' loss.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Great. I'm off today! But our heat pump is on the fritz so I'm about to get reamed. My Nationals ski cap is keeping me warm.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

No problems with the weather here. But I am waiting for the extermintor to show up, which means two hours sitting outside my apartment with my two dogs. Luckily it's in the 60s and sunny.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sure, rub it in. ;)

I'll trade you a plumbing flood for six visits from the exterminator.

Oh, yeah. We're also supposed to get 4-6 inches of snow today.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I woke up this morning.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

When I was in Indiana, I had a pipe break in the garage. Heard a weird noise, walked out there and saw my garage covered in about 3 inches of water. Of course, it was a lot easier to clean up the concrete floor in the garage than any area inside.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Well, I got the whole bed to myself when the wife got up to go to work. Woke up at about 9 when my mom called me, instead of my brother like she intended. Then, watched Little House on the Prairie for a couple of hours. Took a shower, ate lunch. Browsed the interwebs, here mainly.

Not much else.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I just woke up and pipes aren't frozen, so that's a plus. I've been letting the water drip the past few days in my sinks and shower. It's been close to or below 0 this week and will continue to be in my area. In November or October I got a note from my landlord saying to let the water drip so the pipes don't freeze, and I don't want to be responsible for replacing them in this old apt. He pays the water bill, so no extra bills for me. Good luck, Tony.

10. o_t --
    In 1987, we had that very experience.
    On Christmas morning.
    What a happy plumber we met that day.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Ah, plastic fittings. My neighbor had one blow while he was out for the day with the family. Three months later, he got to move back into his house. Luckily, I had one of those blow under my sink while I was walking through the kitchen. I've replaced all my plastic fittings with metal ones (and strongly suggest everyone who has them to do the same). Great move by whomever built my house. I figure in 1989 money, they saved, oh about $3 compared to the metal fittings.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I woke up and had a big bowl of Cap'n Crunch.

Draft saved Draft deleted