1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notebook Peekers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Jul 22, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I was covering a meeting last week, and an old shriveled lady was behaving as if she was either the rudest person on the planet or half-drunk. First, she sat in my chair and then protested obnoxiously when I came back to my seat after talking to the mayor. I would have plopped into another chair, but all of my stuff was under her legs.

Anyway, after objecting, she sat next to me and then kept staring at my notebook. I mean, she was actually leaning to the side and peering at everything I wrote for several minutes as if she was judging my coverage based upon what I did or didn't write.

What should I have done? I'm a push-over. So I didn't do a thing. But I really wanted to call her out on it.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Re: Notebook Peakers

Annoying old lady.. you just have to let it slide.
    Not worth the time or energy getting upset about it.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is peaking like peeking?

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

That's when you write in your notebook, "Why is this nosy old bat looking at my notebook?"

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

Her interest in his notebook was peaking, so she had to start peeking. Nice catch Moddy.

6. times38

times38 Member

that would be piquing.

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Yes, I just caught my own spelling blunder. I'm now so bleary-eyed that I actually thought for a moment that I had written Notebook Peckers, whatever that might be.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

A good karate chop to the throat would have gotten her to mind her own damn business.

9. Pi

Pi Member

Stand up and bark "What the EFF lady!?!? No, I won't have sex with you!" That would make some things happen.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

every few minutes turn to her and just ask her random questions "How do you spell Taliban?" "Does ammonia and bleach really create a bomb?" "Do you know where I can find some good nitroglycerin?" "Do you know if it's a felony to own illegal weopnary?" "Do you happen to know where the Unibomber is being held?"

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I once had a city council member yell at me, "Write that down!" when an opponent said something objectionable during a council meeting. Far more blatant than a notebook peek.

12. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Taking cues from JBH and Pi, you could write down in your notebook, "Hey baby, drinks later? What's your number?"

And playing off Boomer, I love when fans tell me to write something they said down in my notebook. Why, just today I had an old guy tell an ump he sucked in a whole manner of ways, mutter that he wasn't letting the kids play, and said, "And you can write that down in your notebook!"

That'd look great in the paper:
    "These umps aren't letting the kids play," Disgruntled Dingleberry Fan said.

Draft saved Draft deleted