1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not your standard headline thread -- OK, actually it is

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColbertNation, Feb 14, 2008.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I just caught myself with this one tonight. It was a momentary brain fart, to be sure, but at least I saw it before it made it into print. I was running a promo to the MLB arbitration story on the inside, and I typed the headline: "Wang looks for a raise"

I can't imagine anything much would have come from this (technically, it is correct), but it just looks bad.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Was Johnson also looking for a raise?

Some names you just have to be careful with.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

There are so many ways ANY Wang headline that can sound suggestive.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

In college I was told by a prof that it was a good think that copy editors had dirty minds. The point of saying that was to avoid too many sexual innuendos in heads and decks.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In college, my editor ran an AP story about Kerry Wood with the headline "Cubs rookie Wood on the rise".
    We laughed. Presumably, the paper's advisor did not.

6. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Dirty mind=clean copy.

Best headline involving Wang, courtesy of ESPN:
    Angels jump on Wang early, pull away

7. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Another name to be careful with: Rudy Gay. I also had a story about a 90-year-old guy with a signed baseball by Babe Ruth. I was really tempted to go with the headline "Babe Magnet."

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hell, I like that one. Especially if you got a photo of the guy with a great big grin on his face.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Paper I was at once used the following, regarding a certain Dallas Mavericks player:

Mavs to play with Wang out

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Nothing wrong with that hed. Clever, and of course, with photo, isn't literal.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, I don't get the "magnet" part. Otherwise, it's great.

12. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

We once ran "Long balls aid Wang's effort."
    Someone else had written it and I saw it afterward and was equally horrified and entertained. But it was too late to do anything about it. Luckily, we didn't get any phone calls and the bosses never said a word. Maybe it was just my overly juvenile sense of humor.

Draft saved Draft deleted