1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not your prototypical inside-the-biz take on Balco

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Twoback, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20061110-125130-3754r.htm

Washington Times' Tom Knott sees the Chronicle deal differently.
    A lot differently.

2. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

That's not really an uncommon opinion. It's been written and spoken of before, and it's been my belief since day 1. This case is not the same as a journalist protecting a source. They pulled this fruit from a forbidden tree.
    I feel badly that they might have to do some time, but they knew the risks. And if they didn't, well, shame on them.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's nice to see another journalist who has the ability to discuss journalism objectively. Or maybe somebody just forgot to send him a T-shirt and invite him to the big courthouse steps pep rally?

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree with it.

5. e4

e4 Member

they ended up with a great story and made a name for themselves, but it appears they also got used by people who wanted to advance their agenda but were at a dead end

or maybe they knew this would happen (yet hoping it wouldn't) and still proceeded with the story

i agree with this take. the government can't lose its credibility either. me? i'd do 18 months for the scoop, even though it'd be tough knowing the real criminals didn't do that sort of time.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I know one writer at one site who voiced this sort of opinion about two months ago.

7. jaredk

jaredk Member

I should re-register as Sanctimonious Louse. I'm one of those reporters so identified by Knott because I believe Fainaru-Wada and Williams did honest work. Or maybe I am Vermin. I forget which nasty pest I am in Knott's little book of ad hominem insult.

In either case, I disagree with Knott on everything from his mobster analogy to his understanding of police investigations, grand jury proceedings, and the First Amendment. Mostly, I disagree with his implicit contention that preserving the secrecy of grand jury testimony is more important than preserving a press free to do work that is essential to democracy.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Or essential to a best-seller.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Just want to echo that this column, whatever you think of the opinion, was done by a couple of people like weeks ago, right after the initial hearings. Not sure why it's timely right today.

Draft saved Draft deleted