1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not the kind of clip you want in your portfolio

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FireJimTressel.com, Feb 9, 2007.

1. What deserves to happen to the student who wrote the column discussed in this story? Both, for real, and in jest.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-nebccsu0209.artfeb09,0,4411698.story?coll=hc-headlines-local

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Whomever was responsible for that getting into print should be canned. It'd be a lesson about real-world journalism, where the same thing would happen for something like that getting into print.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

It's likely that somewhere on that campus, some borderline retarded frat guys are whining about "political correctness."

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm positive this is a d_b thread, but I can't find the original. Something to do with Bobby Knight being a student at CCSU.

But I agree. This column should be tattooed in green ink on his forehead.

(Green ink is the most permanent and the hardest to remove.)

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

whatever the law will allow. the writer of the piece and the paper's editor should be immediately suspended. then let a panel consisting of the women on campus they so angered to put them on trial and determine their fate. permanent expulsion would be fine by me.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I say he should bunk with boots for a week.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The guy is an idiot and a jerk and a bad humorist, but I don't think he should be expelled.

I think he should resign from the paper, but he does have the right to write that crap.

I just wonder how many people looked at it and didn't say "Hell, no."

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If a college paper is supposed to be a precursor to real life, he needs to be taught in a hard way, as do the morons who greenlighted it, that in real life, you only get that published if you have your very own printing press or blog. No employer would let you publish a column like that. The CCSU paper should not have allowed itself to be a conduit for his freedom of expression.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

"The front page of the paper had a very important story about students losing their Social Security numbers, an issue that affects the entire campus," Rowan said. "But nobody is talking about that. They're only talking about the rape article."

Hmmm....wonder why. ::) ::) ::)

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Oh. My. God.

11. zaphod

zaphod New Member

The upside of free speech: it's easier to spot the dangerous among us.

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

"Fell on deaf ears"? As if the problem is that the readers weren't hip enough to get it?

Puh-leeze.

Draft saved Draft deleted