1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not that anyone cares, but ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I went skydiving once — a tandem jump back in 1996.
    Arguably the best thing I've ever done. I loved it.
    I haven't gone again since, but I will one of these days.
    Absolutely awesome.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

He's back in school and on officer track.

One of those five jumps is a night jump, too, by the way.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys. I certainly appreciate it.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Sir, I appreciate your service. All the best.

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Maybe 3bf has checked in for his last time before heading out and he won't read this until he returns safely.

Had a buddy who signed up for Airborne school in the military. Goes through like two weeks of classes and whatnot. Comes time to make the first jump. He goes the first time, watches several guys go. Goes up on the second flight for his turn. Jumps. Everything's cool. Enjoying it.

Comes time to pop the chute, nothing. Ground's getting closer. He's panicking, as you might imagine. Finally rips the chute out of the pack somehow, but it comes out all tangled, twists him around and somehow ends up wrapped around his legs.

The way the cords are, he can't pull the reserve chute. Ground's gettin' real close by this time. About 500 feet up, he gets one leg free and manages to get just a little air into the chute. And BAM, he hits the ground. Impact knocks him unconscious.

About five minutes later, he wakes up to all the folks in his class standing over him. Does a quick inventory of himself and is satisfied to find that no parts are missing. Hell, nothing was even broken. Struggled to his feet, walked around a couple minutes and then strolled into the office and quit Airborne school. As he's in there, the guy in charge of the class (Sgt., Gen. or whatever) comes in, looks at him, sticks out his hand and says, "Good luck, son." Not another word was passed.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Good luck, tbf. And I wish you all the best. Get back here and give us all the lowdown.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Go get 'em 3BF

8. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

3Bf,

One quick question.

Is there going to be something wrong with the airplane? Because if the plane is fine, I would just stay inside. ;)

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Good luck 3BF

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Kick some ass and take some names, 3BF

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

My best wishes and prayers are with you t_b_f. Hope to see you back here and hear all about it.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Zero Week is the hardest. After that, jumping out of a plane (static line jumps, no free fall except for the first 50 feet out of the C-130) will be a breeze.

You will get sick of PLFs, though.

ADD: One night jump.

Draft saved Draft deleted