1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not since Ali unmasked Foreman in Zaire...Telander knocks out Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If I'm John/Jane Q. Reader, this gives me plenty of ambiguity re: Telander's position.

2. this is a funeral, and it ain't ozzie's.

we're talking about chicago, a tough city, royko's city.

average chicago sports fan identifies more with loudmouth ozzie or the loudmouth guy in the newspaper who is afraid to go into the locker room?

this is no contest. we're not talking about frisco. we're talking chicago.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I agree that Mariotti looks like a teaming turd here, but it has not been advanced one bit by this Telander piece.

4. Jason --
    Why "Frisco"?
    Jack London's town?
    The town that rebuilt after the earhquake?
    Couldn't be that a lot of gay people live there, could it?
    I ask since me and Drew Bledsoe know that you have a fondness for invective similar to that beloved by Ozzie Guillen and, as you say, 80 percent of the people you know.

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

This is sympathetic to Guillen's position. Look at the basic tenet of the justice system. That the accused has the right to face his accuser. Telander's saying Guillen hasn't been afforded this opportunity because Mariotti denies him it.

There is no ambiguity. It merely requires a little thinking.

6. could i hold a comfortable conversation with ozzie? absolutely. i grew up in the same locker-room environment that made ozzie the idiot he is today, and so did many of my friends. my dad has owned a neighborhood bar my whole life. monkey-@$ mofo-er is a term of endearment at the masterpiece lounge. i am who i am -- college grad, sports columnist, spokesman for big brother big sisters, drug-free, a non-drinker 350 days of the year, and many other things.

it's 2006, and most people realize that gay people live absolutely everywhere.

i chose frisco because i tried to think of the no. 1 place where royko's style wouldn't have worked as well. came up with frisco.

7. Royko works anywhere because he was Royko. He'd have found those same stories anywhere. Chicago just takes newspapers more seriously.

8. Susan Slusser

Susan Slusser Member

Totally off topic but we San Franciscans hate "Frisco.'' If you must shorten it, SF is fine (right SF Express?), but no Frisco, please.
      Please continue with excellent discussion.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree that readers love to reader stuff like columnists criticizing other columnists. They lap it up.

Now, I don't agree with a columnist whining about how his job is hard to do because his seat was bad or Joe Jock refused to do more than mumble a few sentences after a game.

Deal with it. Don't whine about it.

A clever, brave columnist could have had Ozzie's nuts in a vise grip right now if he chose to do so.

A loudmouth chicken flaps his fat butt into a low lying tree and squawks.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hell, I thought he was talking about Frisco, Texas.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Did you also play college football?

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Thanks, Susan. I think the myth SF stands for San Francisco should be perpetuated at least once every six months or so. :)

But yes, they HATE the shortened "Frisco" in the Bay Area.

Draft saved Draft deleted