1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not going on the road

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Desk_dude, Apr 4, 2009.

1. partain

partain Member

Didn't Reid sit out because Houston was tanking the season to win the Hakeem Olajuwon (or maybe it was Ralph Sampson) sweepstakes?

2. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Damn, Waylon. You beat me to it, except you left out this part in your post:

Selective memory there, eh, you fuckin' clueless dickhead? Like someone else said earlier, you might have made some decent, insightful posts on other threads, but any credibility you did have is now out the window, so you'd be doing yourself a favor if you STFU -- ah, fuck the acronymn -- SHUT THE FUCK UP -- from here on out, at least on this topic.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I still don't know that this is an ironclad argument for not going on the road with your major teams. I know if we made that decision, it wouldn't save anyone's job. The paper would soon go in the toilet.

But I will agree that, in this day and age, there should be a lot more weighing of risk vs. reward.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You stepped so deeply into the cow pasture that even I can't let this one go.

Funny enough, the editor at my last paper just saw me this morning at my current position. He's a really good man who didn't have to stop by and say hello, but he did because he saw me in my office as he was leaving. Nobody likes what happened - he didn't care to call me with the dreaded news and I wasn't exactly anxious to hear it - but all is well. I'm working a normal schedule and he's still hanging on.

I now listen to some people with the most warped logic on planet Earth try to take their frustration out on me - and sometimes, I really get the opportunity to help people who really need it. I'm lucky in that I work normal hours for the first time in goodness-knows-how-many-years, work with mostly superb people and management has my back ... very critical when you do what I now do. Meanwhile, the editor and countless colleagues of his are trying to hang on in newspapers.

Think I still wouldn't like to be in newspapers? And here you are blasting the very people who put their blood and sweat into the profession and, from the sound of it, you're still in the biz. Guess you've NEVER heard of an attitude of gratitude.

Seriously, go find yourself, sir. And you know exactly what I'm saying.

5. jps

jps Active Member

thanks, sam.

6. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Well Sam, your response hopefully will have more of an impact than mine, which was just anger boiling over. We shall see.

Draft saved Draft deleted