1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not getting paid for OT - legal?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, Feb 5, 2009.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Works down at the tire shop. Managed the Indians for a while. He's got a guy on the other line about a set of white walls.

2. "I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls."

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I worked as a mover the summer after I graduated college, and the overtime system (backed up by the law) was shady as shit. We had out-of-town moves where we were paid from the moment we left town until the moment we got to the hotel for the night, but nothing on those moves counted toward overtime. We had to work 40 hours of local moves before we qualified for overtime. They could do that because we technically qualified as an interstate trucking company.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Some very small papers are exempt from paying overtime.
    The clause that explains why has been posted on here before.
    We have to get OT pre authorized, and if it wasn't and you claim OT, it won't be paid.

5. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

?

6. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

There are some of you who only work 40 hours a week?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes -- unless, of course, I'm scheduled for overtime. And when I work 48 (or 58) hours, I expect to get paid for 48 (or 58) hours. Pretty simple concept, really.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yes, sir. Well, sort of. 45 one week, 35 the next with an extra day off (woohoo, three day weekend!!) every other week.

Then again, I can't remember a time I ever worked just 40 when I was working in newspapers. Not sure I was ever denied OT pay after I worked it, though.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Federal Wage and hours LAW states that a fulltime non-exempt employee who puts in a time card for over 40 hours MUST be paid that overtime, even if there is a company policy thats says OT must be pre-approved. Once it's on the card and signed, it's owed. Boss could be in trouble for refusing to pay it at that point. I"m not making this up---I just took a course on this. However, the other side of the coin is, there's nothing to stop the boss from later disciplining that employee if a pattern develops here for inability to manage time properly and could even be classified as insubordinate, subject to disiplinary action up to and including termination. At that point, that "sacred" signed time card works against said employee as evidence.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

WRONG!

The correct answer: He's managed the Toledo MudHens of the International League for the last few years. I think he'll fit right in with our team concept.

To which I would reply: What exactly is our team concept?

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

That's what I wanted to talk to you about. I want to put together a team that will help us relocate to Miami.

What do you mean? Some of these guys are furniture movers?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

... So are you saying, you want us to lose?

Not just lose, Charlie. What I want, is for us to finish, dead last.

Draft saved Draft deleted