1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

not even hometown jaguars are interested in tebowing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 10, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And would have been better in AZ than what they were trotting out each week.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't have anything against him. I just don't understand the idea that there is some vast conspiracy against him that has anything to do with anything other than the fact that GMs and coaches don't think that he's particularly good at his job.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

a) because his is a unique 'skill set' that demands you run an offense that fits that skill set -- a skill set makes it impossible to be a real back-up 'cause if the starter is injured during a game your offense is effed and b)any success he has is really a mirage, big picture-wise. over the long haul every coach and gm understands the playoff victory over the steelers was an aberration and the loss to the pats gave even the worst of teams the blue-print for a tebow implosion.

what tebow is really rgIII, minus the athleticism and pure passing skills. oh, and plus the distraction of the freak-show baggage that follows him wherever he goes by his legion of followers, most of whom don't know a darned thing about the game they're watching him play.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He had plenty of chances in New York ... mini-camp, training camp, practice.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Your point is well-made about the circus Tebow brings. You're not just signing a possibly adequate backup quarterback. You've got ESPN and every religious fundamentalist down your throat. I don't necessarily lay that at Tebow's feet.

What everyone forgets, too, about "HE JUST WINS" is that after the magic ran out (5-0 in one-score games), the Broncos got crushed the last three weeks of the regular season, and Tebow was horrible. Well, I guess you can argue losing 7-3 isn't being crushed, but when your QB only throws for 50 yards, it feels like it. Denver won that playoff game in part because Pittsburgh was so overplaying the rushing threat that it left a wide-open field, which to Tebow's credit he took advantage of it. But his passing was like your nephew's in Madden -- if he couldn't hit a 50-yard bomb, he wasn't going to hit anything. Forget especially about anything on the sidelines.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh, you've got plenty against him. He offends your statistical analysis of The Only Way To Play Quarterback. That much has been obvious for more than a year.

Coaches and GMs have been wrong a zillion times over on quarterbacks. If Trent Green doesn't blow out his knee -- and do it too late in the preseason for the Rams to hurry and sign someone else -- Kurt Warner is still stocking grocery shelves in Iowa telling people how good he could have been.

He has done more than enough to earn another shot somewhere.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But you said playoff games. Plural. I know you were more accurate when you were in Boston. Face it: The Broncos got into the playoffs thanks to A. Defense, B. Matt Prater, C. Marion Barber, D. Tim Tebow.
    In that order.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The big difference is that Kurt Warner had not yet played in the NFL. When he did, he excelled. Tebow played. He was bad.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Does it matter what seed the Patriots were? They still crushed the Broncos. And we're not talking about Manning's playoff record. He won tons more playoff games than Tebow ever will, including that little game called the Super Bowl.

10. LongTimeListener

I do not think this is true at all. In fact it is 180 degrees the other way. Backups who come into a game with a different style often have tremendous success because the defense hasn't prepared for that style.

As the weeks go on and the team needs to run its regular offense, I think it could be a problem. But bringing someone like that in off the bench can cause havoc for a half or a game or what have you.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Any NFL teams running the Veer or the Single Wing?

12. LongTimeListener

And yet, not only did the Broncos win quite a few games, but Tebow's fourth-quarter passer rating was one of the best in the league.

There is something to being able to finish. I know applied sabermetrics tells us there is no difference between the first quarter and the fourth, but that's just not true.

Draft saved Draft deleted