1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

not even hometown jaguars are interested in tebowing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

By that I believe Hondo means your traditional, drop back passer. He isn't interested in the athletic, dual threat QB. Especially one that is going to bring a world of other issues to the table, including his inability to actually throw the ball.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Does anyone think Tebow takes another NFL snap?

I'd be surprised at this point. I completely agree with those saying that a team would have to completely restructure their offense to make it worthwhile to have him around. He doesn't do you any good as a backup in a traditional system. He can't possibly make the two-deep of an NFL team as a running back or receiver. His only chance is a team like the Steelers or New England, with a strong enough coach and team and a history of making the most of unique talent.

Posnanski (and maybe tons of other people, but he's the one I remember) has written plenty about how in baseball, people have proven they'd rather lose traditionally than try and win with something whacky, like altering the layout of the defense or pitching games backwards (closer to RP to RP to starter). This Tebow thing isn't quite the same, but I definitely feel like there's some of this there. A team like Jacksonville couldn't possibly be shittier next year with a focused, dedicated Tebow offense than it would be with Blaine Gabbert or whoever the hell they'll trot out en route to 3-13.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I think somebody will give him a shot. Someone will look at the Jets situationas being a gongshow from the start, that he was completely mishandled there and think they can figure out how to utilize him properly. There are enough teams out there without a real QB and with no franchise QBs in this year's draft that they can look at it like, why not?

His future in the NFL is probably as an H-Back or TE. If he wants to keep playing QB, hes gotta go to the CFL where the spread offence is much more prevalent.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I say the Pats may give him a shot.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Webster, I'd agree with you except for Gronkowski and Hernandez. They give the Pats the red zone punch that's really always been Tebow's main strength. But if there's a coach who'd be willing to tinker with the Tebow concept, it's Belichick. After all, it's not like there would ever be a quarterback controversy.

6. Brings up an interesting question. What teams can Tim Tebow go to and just be "a player" and not "Tim Tebow"? Third qb on the depth chart and a guy brought in in certain packages, which is really the only way he will still be in the league in two years? I think New England is easily at the top of the list. They know who they are, they know Tom Brady will never be replaced until he is done. And they have a coach who will just kill any of the traditional Tebow questions the minute they start to come out of a reporters mouth. Pittsburgh is another place where the organization is bigger than the player. Maybe even a place like Indianapolis. Media is minimal, fan base is generally pretty supportive and they already have a solidified plan in place with Luck. That, and they seem to be building a solid organization which isn't afraid to stand by its choice. Green Bay comes to mind as well. Other than that, there is either too much dysfunction or the chance that there would be a QB controversy, not so much because Tebow is worth, but because the guy there isn't very good.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's a really odd situation. Here is a guy who has shown that when he's QB, his team can win NFL games, including playoff games. And he's unemployable in a league where more than one team has no quarterback to speak of. It's as if, if you're not as good as Peyton Manning, we don't want you. Honestly, isn't 8-8 better than 3-13? Or are teams just SURE they'll get their mitts on the next Tom Brady if given the chance because they're so smart?
    I agree it'd be better for Tebow to go the CFL route and pile up some gaudy numbers. It worked for Flutie.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He has shown he can win playoff games? Try one, thanks mostly to Demariyus Thomas. Tebow then got schooled hard in the next game. Tebow is 1-4 in his last five starts. The Broncos had to back into the playoffs at 8-8. Please stop with the "all he does is win" stuff because it's not true.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I really think the Pats may make the most sense at this point, and he'd probably be used as a third down back.

Belichick would have no problem cutting him if he sucks.

There would be no cries (from sane people at least) for him to become the starting QB.

I also think Belichick would enjoy proving that he can have success with someone that nobody else seems to want.

Also, McDaniels is there...

I think he'll be on a NFL roster for Week 1 of the 2013 season. I think the bigger question will be is it as a QB, a RB or an all-purpose back.

Watch where Mike McCoy lands. That could be a possible Tebow landing spot.

I wouldn't count out Kansas City, especially if Childress winds up there as an assistant.

I would say the top five Tebow landing spots would be:

1. New England
    2. Wherever McCoy winds up, unless he stays in Denver in his current role.
    3. Kansas City
    4. Oakland
    5. Arizona

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just want him to be given a chance. I'm not saying the guy is great. I just think he's good enough to be a backup in the NFL. I understand there are a lot of teams that are unwilling to deal with the distraction that comes with him... I get that, even though it's not Tebow's fault.

If he fails, fine...

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Oakland has done crazier things than trotting out a backfield of Pryor, McFadden and Tebow.

All three of those guys can throw a pass to some degree.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There are a lot of NFL QBs who look great but their teams don't have a winning record when they are over center, and a lot more don't have a playoff win on their resume.

Draft saved Draft deleted