1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not ashamed to admit it: Jim Rome's radio show is funny

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jul 13, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Almost Famous = Jim Everett.

2. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

The best way I can sum up my thoughts on this is that Rome makes me laugh more than he annoys me.

Like Chris Berman, his routine is tired, but he hasn't reach the point yet where I can't listen to him. He's still better than most talk radio.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Better than most talk radio...

Reminds me of the line, "What's better than winning the 100-yard dash at the Special Olympics?"

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I still like listening to Rome, when I get the chance. He's better than most on sports talk radio.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I never listen, so I don't have much to judge him by. But one of the funniest things I have ever heard--and I still have it saved-was Rome on his radio show reading the transcript of the woman testifying at Marv Albert's trial. He read it really slowly, pausing for dramatic effect every so often, and he went on for about 10 to 15 minutes. The tesitmony was funny enough, but his smarmy, slow read of it was dead-on perfect. It is impossible to listen to it and not laugh.

7. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Jim Rome is one of the reasons I got XM Radio, so I can thank him for that. He's beyond tedious.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I don't know which is worse. Him constantly repeating the same crap time after time after time or separating his shoulder by patting himself on the back so much. "Fantastic interview. Great interview. Fantastic." Whatever. I turn him off as soon as I hear that annoying voice.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

unlike almost famous, i am slightly ashamed to admit that i used to think rome was kind of funny. i haven't listened in years though because i don't think he's in miami.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ragu, he wasn't pausing for effect ... that's just ... the way ... he talks.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

My thoughts on Jim Rome.

A punk. The thing with Jim Everett was a defining moment. It's like the kid in school who talks real tough if he thinks nobody would confront him, but runs like a rabbit when somebody might challenge him. He has a bunch of regular callers who are pretty much stooges and seem to read their "takes".

He's like Rush Limbaugh in the sense that they have a niche time slot where radio during the midday used to be geared toward women, but they found a spot for guys. Like Rush Limbaugh, he is somebody who can talk on the radio for a long time, but television showed both of them to be the frauds they are.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know that he talks that way. But this was really exaggerated. Like when he got to the part about her saying Albert was wearing panties and a garter belt, he just stopped reading and there was dead air for 15 to 20 seconds. And then he started back up again in the same monotone voice he was using.

Like I said, the testimony itself was funny, but a man reading it slowly, in a monotone voice and pausing at the most ridiculous parts, killed me. It was perfect.

Draft saved Draft deleted