1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not ashamed to admit it: Jim Rome's radio show is funny

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Rarely, IF EVER listen to regular radio now that i've got sirius at home. BUT, when stuck driving the girlfriend's car, i have no choice.
    So yesterday, while sitting in the car for a solid 2 hours, I caught a large portion of Jim Rome's radio show.
    At best, I hear portions of it once every two months.

But the guy is funny. He's great on radio, crappy on TV.

His radio delivery is hilarious, and something about his tone cracks me up. He goes on these rants and I end up laughing.

About a month ago, i finally caught 'The herd' which has been discussed on here once or twice. That show is awful. He just sounds angry, and for no particular reason. He's not funny.

That is all.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Rome's show was funnier 10 years ago, back when they had faxes.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I gave Rome more than a fair share, listening to him for about an hour every day for almost a year ... and nothing. Seriously. There were some funny moments, certainly, but the callers were all acting like American Idol contestants, trying to shine in their two-minute "smack." Maybe they were hoping to be so funny they'd get their own show. Everyone tries too hard to impress Rome.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, he isn't funny. He's embarrassing. Embarrassing.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's odd that you had a post right after mine because I swear I was going to use -- with apologies to you -- the term "slappy" to describe how these people behave on the air. That's no reflection on you, of course. Your posts I enjoy.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I prefer Frank Caliendo. If you listen to the show, the impersonation isn't that far off from Rome's pompous on-air persona.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

His impression of John Madden is pretty good and he nails the Shrub.

8. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Amen Slappy, Amen.

Rome...................................is not funny....................................at all........................................

And his delivery..................................with those annoying pauses........................................is not funny...........................

I have never seen anybody try so hard to talk like he's hip, like he has street cred, and fail so miserably.

And I am out....

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Rack him.

10. Steve Hackett

Steve Hackett Member

...but first....<shuffle paper>...I will repeat ad nauseum my last take and play "funny" sound bites over and over again 12-13 times...<shuffle paper>....

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

One vote for Jime Rome = funny.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

One day he kept going back to the famous Carl Lewis singing the national anthem clip. Over.
    And over.
    and over.
    and over.
    And.
    Over.

It got so painful I turned it off, listened to a full Linkin Park song, then went back.

And over.
    And over.

Jim ... S.T.F.U.!!!!

If there had been another talk show alternative, I would have listened. But there was nothing but country music and Vietnamese stations.

Draft saved Draft deleted