1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not a DB: Oil rig explodes in Gulf of Mexico

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Sep 2, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Like Three Mile Island shut down all nuclear energy expansion for 20 years?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's possible this was a meth lab.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. vicd

vicd Active Member

That's great news. Hopefully it isn't like Deepwater when in the first few days all we head was, "It's not that bad" then 2,500 gallons a day...50,000 gallons per day...2,500 barrels per day...62,000 barrels per day...

Edited: Whoops, I see what you did there...Damn, I was hoping that was a new story

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the government enforced all the laws that were on the books, the country would shut down.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was listening to the BBC and a Coast Guard commander told them the slick is likely from the initial explosion. It's a mile long, but it was 10 feet wide.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This guy is part of the solution:

[​IMG]

He doesn't need to burn fossil fuels to do his job.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Last report I saw on CNN.com indicated that the emergency shut-off system was activated and prevented any gas or oil from igniting.

There was an earlier report on BBC radio that it wasn't an explosion but rather a fire that started in the living quarters on the rig. The CNN report indicated it was a fire in a work area.

Draft saved Draft deleted