1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Norwegian Cruise Lines: Reservation, shmeservation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Mar 7, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/499072p-420758c.html

Have a reservation? Tough
    Have a plane ticket? Tough
    Had plans? Tough

I hope they take a major PR hit for just bouncing these people. I care less about the circumstances about why the boat is now not available, but to do this then offer just $100 off your next cruise? I'd rather take the S.S. Minnow.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

All the norovirus you can eat? Not a chance, buddy. I'll watch the vomit scene in "Stand By Me" but I won't live it in real life.

I have no desire to go on a cruise.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How can you write an article like that with no apparent effort to get a comment from the cruise line?

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

They didn't get their deposit back? Wow.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

With all of the problems the cruise line industry is having (various viruses, stories of crime on and off the boat, people disappearing, etc.), why would anyone want to get on one of these ships?

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The number of cruises where people are stricken by a ship-wide virus is a very small percentage of cruises.
    Crime on and off the boat.. crime happens in the cities, suburbia, rural areas, etc. you just need to exercise the same cautions you would anywhere else -- lock valuables in a safe, don't wear anything too gaudy to attract to yourself, etc.
    People disappearing off boats .. if I'm not mistaken, the majority of those cases have happened on cruises in the Medeterrian, not cruises in the Bahamas.

So don't rag on cruises unless you've actually been on one or more.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I mean it could have been worse. They could have been stuck on a boat WITH Ross O'Donnell for a week...

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I guess this gives new meaning to their slogan "Freestyle cruising" -- they're free to cancel your reservation and kick you off the ship whenever they want.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Right on Joe. I took a cruise (albeit in 1985) and thoroughly enjoyed it. The illnesses and abductions aren't as common as you think or are led to believe. And the whole experience really is fantastic.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Well, we were considering taking a cruise for a vacation in the near future. Won't be with Norwegian now, that's for sure.

11. Took the Tread family on a Disney Cruise in January. First time any of us had been on a cruise and we had a great time. Can't think of a bad thing to say about it other than St. Maarten wasn't as spectacular as people we talked to seemed to think it was.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've been on two cruises, and am thinking about taking MrsExpendable for our tenth in a couple of years. Very enjoyable experience.

Come on. A bad day of norovirus on an island is better than a good day at work. :D

Okay, it's not.

Draft saved Draft deleted