1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Norv Turner Sucks, Alright, But Do I? Analyze this column on the coach.

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by FantasyAlliance.cm, Mar 6, 2007.

1. '93. I mentioned that the president was Clinton.

2. So? Never assume your readers will know. How hard is it to add the year?

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

FAC, are you talking about the 1993 attack or the 9/11 attack?
    [/quote]'93. I mentioned that the president was Clinton.
    [/quote]Again, it wasn't clearly written. Most people do not remember the 1993 attack. If you wrote something like "The last time Schottenheimer recorded a playoff victory was in 1993, X months prior to the first World Trade Center bombing" it would be clearer to the reader.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I don't know, guys...Readers don't know Clinton was president in 1993?

Can't we give them some credit?

5. Not in my experience. Our old ME once asked, "What's a double-double?"

Hell, just watch Jaywalking or that new fourth-grader show on Fox (if you can prevent your head from exploding). There are stupid people out there, and some of them surf the 'Net for sports.

6. '93. I mentioned that the president was Clinton.
    [/quote]Again, it wasn't clearly written. Most people do not remember the 1993 attack. If you wrote something like "The last time Schottenheimer recorded a playoff victory was in 1993, X months prior to the first World Trade Center bombing" it would be clearer to the reader.
    [/quote]

I understood the Clinton reference but it might not hurt to say the president was clinton and the year was 93. What I didn't quite get was comparing Schottie's firing to Jimmie Johnson ... as you say Johnson won two Super Bowls and Schottie hasn't won shit ... neither may have got along with their owners but it's not the same.

7. Again, it wasn't clearly written. Most people do not remember the 1993 attack. If you wrote something like "The last time Schottenheimer recorded a playoff victory was in 1993, X months prior to the first World Trade Center bombing" it would be clearer to the reader.
    [/quote]

I understood the Clinton reference but it might not hurt to say the president was clinton and the year was 93. What I didn't quite get was comparing Schottie's firing to Jimmie Johnson ... as you say Johnson won two Super Bowls and Schottie hasn't won shit ... neither may have got along with their owners but it's not the same.
    [/quote]

Originally, I had a more analytical peice that mentioned how Johnson was fired in '93, the same year as the refference to Clinton, then I went into more depth on the comparrison, but I guess I should have taken it out completly when I changed the focus to bashing Turner.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

The comparison to Jerry-Jimmy is faulty. Johnson quit as much as he was fired. One of the reasons for the tension was that Jimmy was openly flaunting his desire to leave -- I seem to recall a lot of speculation about Jacksonville, whch had just been awarded a franchise, during the week leading up to Jimmy's last Super Bowl win.

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Agreed. We dumb down things too much as it is.

10. i'd stop reading here

try to make your subjects and verbs agree

team = singular subject
    they = plural pronoun

plus, a team can't say anything

Draft saved Draft deleted