1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Norv Turner has been hired as the head coach of the San Diego Chargers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I figured Cottrell would somehow make it onto this staff with his ties to Smith and Buffalo.

2. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

I just don't like Turner in there with the 14-2 Chargers team.

3. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

WTF is wrong with Ron Rivera? This job seemed built for him.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

They won't have to worry about finishing 14-2 with Norv running the show.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Correction for all concerned: Norv Turner was not hired by Dan Snyder, he was hired by Jack Kent Cooke. He spent about an equal amount of time under both owners after Cooke died in '97.

No one can blame Snyder for when Turner pushed hard to draft Heath Shuler and Michael Westbrook, overruling then-GM Charlie Casserly, who wanted Trent Dilfer and Joey Galloway (I know, I know, not much better).

Another retread rises from the coaching grave. Can't wait for Mike Sherman to start his revival in the coming years. ::)

Some people are just meant to be coordinators.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This makes me think they went in wanting a guy with NFL head coaching experience no matter what.

If that isn't the case, I just don't understand hiring Turner over some of the other options.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

This clearly shows that A.J. is running this team and Spanos will let him drive the Ferrari. Norv just has to sit shotgun.

8. 7-9? Your table's ready.

9. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

A great day for Colts, Patriots, Ravens, Bengals, Broncos and Chiefs fans, all whose teams will be in the playoffs next season when the Chargers fire Norv.
    Mike Sherman? Hell, he would have been a far better choice. At least he won some division titles.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ron Rivera just got beat out by Wade Phillips and Norv Turner in his last two interviews.

If that doesn't make a guy question his career choice I don't know what would. I think the only way it would be worse would be if Dennis Green beat him out.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Yeah, why didn't Green get an interview? He knows how to not reach the Super Bowl with great talent and he knows how to promise everything and not deliver. Dennis Green is who we think he is.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

What makes you think the Spanos family is any better?
    As misguided as they are, at least Snyder and Davis care about winning.

Draft saved Draft deleted