1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northwestern seniors upset about commencement speaker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, May 29, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A few years ago Kermit the Frog was the keynote speaker at one of the Ivy schools...

The best line from one of the students:

"$30K a year and we get a goddamn sock..."

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I was a December graduate. It sucked. I finished one course in the summer to complete my degree, and family forced me to walk six months later. It didn't feel ceremonious.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mom asked, I said no. I worked a morning shift at the radio station that Saturday and was home by 3...

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Same here, Hammer. I was a February graduate and walked with my twin sister in May.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder who you could get for a school that would a) be a big enough name, b) be respected, c) not cause a mass boycott or protest.

Oprah would be good, but like Daley, she's from Chicago so whoop de doo. Same for Obama.
    The Dali Lama?, hard to understand.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I didn't go to school that far down south.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Really? I mean, even Sharon Stone is name-dropping the dude. He's the "it" thing right now.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I just meant when he talks, he is difficult to comprehend. I've heard him speak, it's like Yoda with an accent.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

If I was Daley I would consider telling those snobs to f off and not go.

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

My class got J. Craig Ventre (if you don't know who he is, you prove my point).

The class after me got Hamid Karzai as commencement speaker. It also got to have commencement in a brand new arena.

Mine was held outdoors in pouring rain. Even though I was wearing a poncho and trying to hold up an umbrella, the rain caused the colors on my tie to run and ruined a dress shirt.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Hard to believe it's been more than a year since that happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted